John Lackey to start Game 2 of World Series, Buchholz/Peavy TBD
|10.22.13 at 6:05 pm ET|
Red Sox manager John Farrell said that after Jon Lester starts Game 1 of the World Series, John Lackey will start Game 2, in part based on a desire not to have his next trip to the mound be too far removed from his dominant performance in Game 3 of the American League Championship Series against the Tigers, when Lackey beat Justin Verlander, 1-0. A Game 2 start would mean Lackey was pitching on seven days’ rest, as opposed to nine days if he were to be pushed back to Game 3 in St. Louis.
Meanwhile, Farrell said that the rotation order had not been set for Games 3 and 4 in St. Louis. Farrell expects Clay Buchholz and Jake Peavy to make those two starts, and said that the decision to push Buchholz back to either Game 3 or 4 (after he pitched in Games 2 and 6 of the ALCS) was not health-based, but that he wants to see how the Sox get through the first two contests against the Cardinals before setting his weekend rotation in the National League park. One possible explanation: Farrell wants to make sure neither Buchholz nor Peavy is needed out of the bullpen before he commits to the rotation order for Games 3 and 4.
Farrell also said that he did not expect the 25-man World Series roster to differ from the 11-pitcher squad that the Sox featured in the first two rounds of the playoffs.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Ortiz Ties Jimmie Foxx for 18th on All-Time Home Runs List
- Pedroia Has Become Forgotten Star in Red Sox's Booming Offense
- Andrew Benintendi Injury: Updates on Red Sox OF's Knee, Return
- Buchholz Can Still Play Big Part in Red Sox's Title Hopes
- Porcello's Resurgence Worth Every Penny of Extension
- Betts Has Real Chance of Crashing AL MVP Party
- Cup of Coffee: DSL Red Sox2 break out brooms; Dalbec keeps raking
- Return to past hitting mechanics fueling Bobby Dalbec's success
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and LaMarre lead the way for PawSox
- Weekly Notes: Moncada, Devers, Tavarez nab postseason awards
- Cup of Coffee: Salem walks off, Downs homers
- Cup of Coffee: Groome impresses while Johnson falters
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects five hits, Chatham belts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon comes up clutch, Dalbec stays hot for Lowell
- Scouting Scratch: Mike Shawaryn and Shaun Anderson
- Cup of Coffee: LaMarre powers Pawtucket, Kopech whiffs 10