John Lackey to start Game 2 of World Series, Buchholz/Peavy TBD
|10.22.13 at 6:05 pm ET|
Red Sox manager John Farrell said that after Jon Lester starts Game 1 of the World Series, John Lackey will start Game 2, in part based on a desire not to have his next trip to the mound be too far removed from his dominant performance in Game 3 of the American League Championship Series against the Tigers, when Lackey beat Justin Verlander, 1-0. A Game 2 start would mean Lackey was pitching on seven days’ rest, as opposed to nine days if he were to be pushed back to Game 3 in St. Louis.
Meanwhile, Farrell said that the rotation order had not been set for Games 3 and 4 in St. Louis. Farrell expects Clay Buchholz and Jake Peavy to make those two starts, and said that the decision to push Buchholz back to either Game 3 or 4 (after he pitched in Games 2 and 6 of the ALCS) was not health-based, but that he wants to see how the Sox get through the first two contests against the Cardinals before setting his weekend rotation in the National League park. One possible explanation: Farrell wants to make sure neither Buchholz nor Peavy is needed out of the bullpen before he commits to the rotation order for Games 3 and 4.
Farrell also said that he did not expect the 25-man World Series roster to differ from the 11-pitcher squad that the Sox featured in the first two rounds of the playoffs.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system
- Podcast Ep. #105: MoncadainBoston
- Cup of Coffee: Devers helps keep Salem alive, Lowell eliminated
- Scouting Scratch: Jason Groome