Carlos Beltran forced from game with rib injury
|10.23.13 at 9:43 pm ET|
Beltran suffered the injury after making a sensational catch of David Ortiz‘s blast, which would have landed in the St. Louis bullpen for a grand slam if not for the outfielder stabbing it over the fence.
While making the catch — which resulted in a sacrifice fly that upped the Red Sox‘ lead to 5-0 with two outs in the second — Beltran rammed into the wall, injuring his side.
Replacing Beltran was John Jay, who played center field with Shane Robinson moving over to right field.
Beltran, who struck out in his only at-bat, came into the game hitting .256 with a .921 OPS and two homers in the postseason.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and Devers homer, Dalbec debuts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts in left, Basabe stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd spins gem, Hill stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Mendoza leads DSL 1 in lone affiliate victory
- Scouting Scratch: Tate Matheny and Kyri Washington
- Cup of Coffee: Kent dominates, Devers scores game-winner
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada homers twice, Kopech strikes out nine
- Podcast Ep. #102: Groome signs, Dave deals, podcast delivered
- Weekly Notes: Groome signs, Espinoza traded, Marrero is All-Star MVP
- Cup of Coffee: Salem walks off, Hill rakes in Lowell loss