Carlos Beltran forced from game with rib injury
|10.23.13 at 9:43 pm ET|
Beltran suffered the injury after making a sensational catch of David Ortiz‘s blast, which would have landed in the St. Louis bullpen for a grand slam if not for the outfielder stabbing it over the fence.
While making the catch — which resulted in a sacrifice fly that upped the Red Sox‘ lead to 5-0 with two outs in the second — Beltran rammed into the wall, injuring his side.
Replacing Beltran was John Jay, who played center field with Shane Robinson moving over to right field.
Beltran, who struck out in his only at-bat, came into the game hitting .256 with a .921 OPS and two homers in the postseason.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Help Wanted: Database Coordinator
- January Notes: Red Sox extend contract with Greenville
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Champions crowned as play concludes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Championship series underway
- 2015 Graduates in Review: Blake Swihart
- Help Wanted: Writers, Editors
- Red Sox bring back Dan Butler on minor league deal
- 2015 Graduates in Review: Eduardo Rodriguez
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramos and Castillo combine for 16 hits
- 2015 Graduates in Review: Henry Owens