Carlos Beltran forced from game with rib injury
|10.23.13 at 9:43 pm ET|
Beltran suffered the injury after making a sensational catch of David Ortiz‘s blast, which would have landed in the St. Louis bullpen for a grand slam if not for the outfielder stabbing it over the fence.
While making the catch — which resulted in a sacrifice fly that upped the Red Sox‘ lead to 5-0 with two outs in the second — Beltran rammed into the wall, injuring his side.
Replacing Beltran was John Jay, who played center field with Shane Robinson moving over to right field.
Beltran, who struck out in his only at-bat, came into the game hitting .256 with a .921 OPS and two homers in the postseason.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles