Carlos Beltran forced from game with rib injury
|10.23.13 at 9:43 pm ET|
Beltran suffered the injury after making a sensational catch of David Ortiz‘s blast, which would have landed in the St. Louis bullpen for a grand slam if not for the outfielder stabbing it over the fence.
While making the catch — which resulted in a sacrifice fly that upped the Red Sox‘ lead to 5-0 with two outs in the second — Beltran rammed into the wall, injuring his side.
Replacing Beltran was John Jay, who played center field with Shane Robinson moving over to right field.
Beltran, who struck out in his only at-bat, came into the game hitting .256 with a .921 OPS and two homers in the postseason.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Trade Analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Tyler Thornburg
- Trade Analysis: Scouting the pitching prospects dealt for Chris Sale
- Trade Analysis: Scouting the hitting prospects dealt for Chris Sale
- Podcast Ep. #110: Dealin' Dave's Winter Sale
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo to play in Puerto Rican League
- November Notes: Prospect rankings and new CBA
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez belts walk-off home run
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Devers, Hernandez stand out in Dominican winter league
- Podcast Ep. #109: Alex Speier on Ranking the System
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez debuts, Tavarez, Mars stay hot