Carlos Beltran forced from game with rib injury
|10.23.13 at 9:43 pm ET|
Beltran suffered the injury after making a sensational catch of David Ortiz‘s blast, which would have landed in the St. Louis bullpen for a grand slam if not for the outfielder stabbing it over the fence.
While making the catch — which resulted in a sacrifice fly that upped the Red Sox‘ lead to 5-0 with two outs in the second — Beltran rammed into the wall, injuring his side.
Replacing Beltran was John Jay, who played center field with Shane Robinson moving over to right field.
Beltran, who struck out in his only at-bat, came into the game hitting .256 with a .921 OPS and two homers in the postseason.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Barnes continues resurgence behind explosive fastball, strong curve
- Cup of Coffee: Barnes impresses in shutout victory
- Cup of Coffee: Ranaudo shuts out Lehigh Valley
- Players of the Week, 8/11-17: Keith Couch & Keury De La Cruz
- Cup of Coffee: Top picks Chavis and Kopech key GCL Sox win
- Jackie Bradley, Jr. optioned to Pawtucket, Betts called up to Boston
- Weekly Notes: Margot's break out continues in Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Monge, Margot, and Mookie keep mashing
- Cup of Coffee: Couch dominates Richmond
- Cup of Coffee: Rodriguez dominates while Kukuk and Ball struggle