Red Sox World Series Game 1 lineup: Xander Bogaerts hitting seventh, David Ross catching Jon Lester
|10.23.13 at 3:50 pm ET|
As the Red Sox open the World Series against Adam Wainwright and the Cardinals, the team will feature a slightly different look to its lineup. Xander Bogaerts, the 21-year-old who is off to a historic start to his postseason career, has moved up from ninth to seventh in the lineup, with Stephen Drew getting nudged down to the No. 8 spot and catcher David Ross — continuing his personal association with starter Jon Lester, the third straight start in which the two of them are paired together — batting ninth. As expected, Jonny Gomes remains in the lineup in left field, with Daniel Nava available off the bench.
There is scant familiarity on the two teams with the opposing starting pitchers. Here is the complete batter vs. starting pitcher matchup history. For comprehensive Red Sox coverage, visit weei.com/redsox.
RED SOX LINEUP
Jacoby Ellsbury, CF
Shane Victorino, RF
Dustin Pedroia, 2B
David Ortiz, DH
Mike Napoli, 1B
Jonny Gomes, LF
Xander Bogaerts, 3B
Stephen Drew, SS
David Ross, C
Jon Lester, SP
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- SoxProspects Staff Announcement: Promotions and new hires!
- Hanley Ramirez: A former top prospect returns
- Ryan Lavarnway designated for assignment as Sandoval signs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez shines in Puerto Rico
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Xander Bogaerts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Mookie Betts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday