World Series predictions, poll: Media gives slight edge to Red Sox
|10.23.13 at 1:40 pm ET|
At ESPN.com, 15 analysts, including Jim Bowden, Tim Kurkjian and Buster Olney, favored the Red Sox, compared to 12, including Jerry Crasnick and Jayson Stark, who favored the Cardinals.
At CBS Sports, four analysts, including Jon Heyman, went with Boston while two took St. Louis.
The crew at Sports Illustrated leaned heavily toward the Cardinals, with six of seven analysts predicting a Red Sox loss. All predictions have the Series going at least six games.
Who will win the World Series?
- Red Sox in 6 (49%)
- Red Sox in 7 (16%)
- Red Sox in 5 (14%)
- Cardinals in 6 (8%)
- Red Sox in 4 (5%)
- Cardinals in 5 (3%)
- Cardinas in 7 (3%)
- Cardinals in 4 (2%)
Here’s what some other national media personalities had to say about the Fall Classic.
Richard Justice, MLB.com: Red Sox – “They’re a team without a weakness, a team good enough to win an ALCS even when it doesn’t play well across the board. The Red Sox win because they hang in there, never back down and always think they’ll write the ending they choose to write. That’s what championship teams have done throughout the years, and this Red Sox team has that kind of vibe around it.”
Tom Verducci, Sports Illustrated: Red Sox – ‘Fenway is the game’s oldest ballpark, having seen 102 seasons of baseball. The best possible matchup deserves the most drama: Red Sox in seven.’
Sam Gardner, Fox Sports: Red Sox – ‘Call me crazy, but I think the Cardinals leave St. Louis with a 3-2 series lead, but lose Games 6 and 7 in Boston. Chalk it up to that Fenway mystique and a promising young pitcher who isn’t quite ready for this kind of pressure.’
Paul Hoynes, Cleveland Plain Dealer: Red Sox – ‘The Red Sox will win the World Series in six or seven games. The Cardinals have a better rotation, but the Red Sox just got done beating a Tiger team with the best rotation in the big leagues.’
Don Connolly, Baltimore Sun: Red Sox – “My money is with [Koji Uehara's] Red Sox teammates to win in a well-pitched classic that goes the distance. I say Red Sox in seven. I’ll give Dustin Pedroia the World Series Most Valuable Player trophy.”
A.J. Ellis, Los Angeles Dodgers (for the Los Angeles Times): Cardinals – “It feels as if the Cardinals have it all clicking with the emergence of [Michael] Wacha, the leadership of [Yadier] Molina and the clutch playoff hitting of [Carlos] Beltran. I’ll take the Cardinals in six.”
Barry Svrluga, Washington Post: Cardinals – “They will get a boost from the return of Allen Craig, their regular first baseman who has missed the postseason to this point with a foot injury. But the focal point of their lineup has to be right fielder Carlos Beltran, who enters his first World Series with a .337 average and 1.173 OPS in 45 career postseason games.”
Bernie Miklasz, St. Louis Dispatch: Cardinals – “I do think the Cardinals win this series. They have to get at least one of the first two games in Boston. They have to. If they do they’re in good shape. If they don’t, Cardinals are in the deep,deep trouble. But with [Adam] Wainwright and with [Michael] Wacha, you’ve got to like their chances of coming out here with at least one win.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- SoxProspects Staff Announcement: Promotions and new hires!
- Hanley Ramirez: A former top prospect returns
- Ryan Lavarnway designated for assignment as Sandoval signs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez shines in Puerto Rico
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Xander Bogaerts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Mookie Betts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday