Cardinals minor leaguer questions if Jon Lester used illegal substance
|10.24.13 at 10:08 am ET|
During the Red Sox‘ Game 1 win over the Cardinals on Wednesday night, there was some discoloration on the inside of Red Sox pitcher Jon Lester‘s glove. One video clip shows Lester touching the greenish/yellowish area with the tips of two fingers as he gets ready to throw a pitch.
That was enough for Cardinals minor league pitcher Tyler Melling to tweet out his concern: Jon Lester using a little Vaseline inside the glove tonight?
Jon Lester using a little Vaseline inside the glove tonight? pic.twitter.com/IyQn2iqg5f
‘ Tyler Melling (@TylerMelling) October 24, 2013
This isn’t the first time the Cardinals have been in involved in a controversy regarding an opposing pitcher in the World Series. In 2006, Tigers hurler Kenny Rogers was accused by members of the Cardinals organization of using pine tar and scuffing baseballs after a substance was spotted on his pitching hand in Detroit’s 3-1 victory in Game 2. The umpiring crew determined the substance was dirt.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles