Cardinals minor leaguer questions if Jon Lester used illegal substance
|10.24.13 at 10:08 am ET|
During the Red Sox‘ Game 1 win over the Cardinals on Wednesday night, there was some discoloration on the inside of Red Sox pitcher Jon Lester‘s glove. One video clip shows Lester touching the greenish/yellowish area with the tips of two fingers as he gets ready to throw a pitch.
That was enough for Cardinals minor league pitcher Tyler Melling to tweet out his concern: Jon Lester using a little Vaseline inside the glove tonight?
Jon Lester using a little Vaseline inside the glove tonight? pic.twitter.com/IyQn2iqg5f
‘ Tyler Melling (@TylerMelling) October 24, 2013
This isn’t the first time the Cardinals have been in involved in a controversy regarding an opposing pitcher in the World Series. In 2006, Tigers hurler Kenny Rogers was accused by members of the Cardinals organization of using pine tar and scuffing baseballs after a substance was spotted on his pitching hand in Detroit’s 3-1 victory in Game 2. The umpiring crew determined the substance was dirt.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Cup of Coffee: Ball shuts down Dash offense, Callahan has wild outing
- Cup of Coffee: Witte walks off for Portland, Buttrey goes seven strong for Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Kopech drives Greenville past Charleston
- Cup of Coffee: Gunkel grabs first Double-A win, Craig reaches five times
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada breaks out, PawSox lose heartbreaker
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson goes six strong, Moncada picks up first hit
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada era begins; phenom scores twice in slugfest
- Weekly Notes: Moncada set to debut, Brian Johnson keeps producing
- Cup of Coffee: Kopech and Haley solid, Tejeda swinging a hot bat
- Yoan Moncada to debut with Greenville on Monday