Carlos Beltran day-to-day after crashing into right-field wall, negative X-rays
|10.24.13 at 1:47 am ET|
It took Carlos Beltran 16 major league seasons to reach the World Series, and when he finally got there on Wednesday night at Fenway Park, his experience lasted just two innings. The Cardinals right fielder crashed into the right-field wall while robbing David Ortiz of a grand slam in the second, then exited an inning later. St. Louis general manager John Mozeliak said after the game that Beltran was transported to a local hospital, where CT scans and X-rays were negative. He is day-to-day.
Mozeliak termed it a ‘severe rib bruise’ for the time being.
‘He’s a little down right now, certainly disappointed,’ Mozeliak said. ‘Obviously he wanted to play in this, and to come out of the game before it ended was disappointing.’
Mozeliak said based on conversations he had with team trainers, he is ‘somewhat optimistic’ Beltran would play in Game 2 Thursday night.
Still, much of that decision will be based on how the eight-time All-Star feels when he wakes up, as well as how his side reacts to batting practice pregame.
‘Obviously you want to see your club at full strength,’ Mozeliak said. ‘[But] rather than try to play through it ‘¦ it made more sense to get him tested.’
A number of Cardinals expressed similar disappointment that the veteran had to leave early.
‘Any time you lose a guy like him, it’s tough,’ said catcher Yadier Molina.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Travis, Owens continue hot stretches
- Cup of Coffee: Brian Johnson leads PawSox to shutout victory
- After slow start, Cecchini heating up at the plate, settling into left field
- Cup of Coffee: Watkins earns save after catching 14 innings
- Weekly Notes: Johnson makes Major League debut
- Cup of Coffee: Big offensive performances from Pawtucket, Greenville and Portland
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas, Travis highlight tight Portland victory
- Cup of Coffee: Tejeda's big night pushes Portland past Fisher Cats
- 2015 Draft Recap: Benintendi a best-case scenario
- Podcast Ep. 81: Dropping in on the Drive, Darren Fenster interview