Carlos Beltran day-to-day after crashing into right-field wall, negative X-rays
|10.24.13 at 1:47 am ET|
It took Carlos Beltran 16 major league seasons to reach the World Series, and when he finally got there on Wednesday night at Fenway Park, his experience lasted just two innings. The Cardinals right fielder crashed into the right-field wall while robbing David Ortiz of a grand slam in the second, then exited an inning later. St. Louis general manager John Mozeliak said after the game that Beltran was transported to a local hospital, where CT scans and X-rays were negative. He is day-to-day.
Mozeliak termed it a ‘severe rib bruise’ for the time being.
‘He’s a little down right now, certainly disappointed,’ Mozeliak said. ‘Obviously he wanted to play in this, and to come out of the game before it ended was disappointing.’
Mozeliak said based on conversations he had with team trainers, he is ‘somewhat optimistic’ Beltran would play in Game 2 Thursday night.
Still, much of that decision will be based on how the eight-time All-Star feels when he wakes up, as well as how his side reacts to batting practice pregame.
‘Obviously you want to see your club at full strength,’ Mozeliak said. ‘[But] rather than try to play through it ‘¦ it made more sense to get him tested.’
A number of Cardinals expressed similar disappointment that the veteran had to leave early.
‘Any time you lose a guy like him, it’s tough,’ said catcher Yadier Molina.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles