Clay Buchholz still targeting Game 4 start; Felix Doubront ‘ready for everything’
|10.25.13 at 10:24 am ET|
Both the starter and pitching coach Juan Nieves confirmed Buchholz will throw the same sort of side session Friday that he would in preparation for any start. The righty played a light game of catch Thursday.
“Well, everything that he’s going through right now is indicating that he will start on Sunday,” said Red Sox manager John Farrell prior to his team’s 4-2 loss to the Cardinals in Game 2. “There’s been nothing that has happened since we spoke yesterday here or with Clay that would indicate otherwise. So we fully expect him to go.”
Felix Doubront, also speaking after the loss, said he is still viewing himself as a reliever, having warmed up during the eighth inning Thursday night.
“I’m ready for everything,” the lefty said. “I was available today. Next game same thing. I’m in the bullpen right now. If [filling in for Buchholz] happens, I’m going to be there. But I’m a bullpen guy, too.”
Doubront has pitched 2 1/3 innings out of the bullpen this postseason, having last appeared in Game 4, nine days ago.
“I feel good. I feel totally rested and ready to go,” he said. “I can go five or six [innings], or even more than that. But right now I’m available in the bullpen.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Episode 113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies
- Fort Report: Benintendi to bat third in Boston?
- Fort Report: Owens struggles, Castillo seeks redemption