Jake Peavy: Obstruction ruling ‘a joke … a crying shame’
|10.27.13 at 12:51 am ET|
ST. LOUIS — Starter Jake Peavy was among the many incensed members of the Red Sox after his team suffered a 5-4 walk-off loss in Game 3 of the World Series when the umpiring crew ruled that third baseman Will Middlebrooks obstructed Allen Craig on Jarrod Saltalamacchia‘s errant throw, the result of which was Craig — who was beaten to the plate by a throw from left fielder Daniel Nava — being given the plate with the first-ever obstruction walk-off in World Series history.
“I’m beat beyond words. I don’t know what to say. I think it’s absolutely a crying shame that a call like that is going to decide a World Series game. It’s a joke. There’s no other way to say it. It’s a joke that call decides a World Series game that two teams are absolutely pouring their heart out on the field. There’s just no other way to say it. That’s the way I feel,” said Peavy. “It’s a joke. It’s a joke. I don’t know how [third base ump Jim Joyce is] going to lay his head down tonight. I don’t know. When you watch how hard these teams are playing in the World Series and what it takes to get here, what it takes to do what we did climbing back, it’s just amazing to me that it would end on a call like that that’s not black and white. I just don’t know what else to say.”
Peavy said the outcome was particularly disappointing given the intensity of the game as it unfolded, and the way in which the Red Sox twice erased two-run deficits.
“You have two great, great baseball teams playing out there and you had such a great game tonight. This was a phenomenal game tonight all the way down to the final play. Guys just absolutely pouring their heart out,” said Peavy. “For it to end on a call like that, I don’t know how anybody can say, ‘Yeah, that’s the way it should have ended.’ Go find me one person who’s OK with that call other than Cardinals fans because their team won the game. That’s not OK.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins