Jake Peavy: Obstruction ruling ‘a joke … a crying shame’
|10.27.13 at 12:51 am ET|
ST. LOUIS — Starter Jake Peavy was among the many incensed members of the Red Sox after his team suffered a 5-4 walk-off loss in Game 3 of the World Series when the umpiring crew ruled that third baseman Will Middlebrooks obstructed Allen Craig on Jarrod Saltalamacchia‘s errant throw, the result of which was Craig — who was beaten to the plate by a throw from left fielder Daniel Nava — being given the plate with the first-ever obstruction walk-off in World Series history.
“I’m beat beyond words. I don’t know what to say. I think it’s absolutely a crying shame that a call like that is going to decide a World Series game. It’s a joke. There’s no other way to say it. It’s a joke that call decides a World Series game that two teams are absolutely pouring their heart out on the field. There’s just no other way to say it. That’s the way I feel,” said Peavy. “It’s a joke. It’s a joke. I don’t know how [third base ump Jim Joyce is] going to lay his head down tonight. I don’t know. When you watch how hard these teams are playing in the World Series and what it takes to get here, what it takes to do what we did climbing back, it’s just amazing to me that it would end on a call like that that’s not black and white. I just don’t know what else to say.”
Peavy said the outcome was particularly disappointing given the intensity of the game as it unfolded, and the way in which the Red Sox twice erased two-run deficits.
“You have two great, great baseball teams playing out there and you had such a great game tonight. This was a phenomenal game tonight all the way down to the final play. Guys just absolutely pouring their heart out,” said Peavy. “For it to end on a call like that, I don’t know how anybody can say, ‘Yeah, that’s the way it should have ended.’ Go find me one person who’s OK with that call other than Cardinals fans because their team won the game. That’s not OK.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies