Red Sox pregame notes: All relievers available for Game 4, along with John Lackey
|10.27.13 at 6:19 pm ET|
Farrell would later explain Lackey’s availability would be for just about an inning, or a workload similar to what he would throw for a typical side session.
When asked if there was any doubt that Buchholz ‘ who is dealing with shoulder fatigue ‘ wouldn’t be able to make Sunday night’s start, Farrell said, ‘Well we had to stay open minded to it. But as 48 hours further from his last start, it became pretty clear that he’s going to make it.’
‘I think Clay is dealing with things individual to him,’ Farrell added. ‘He’s done everything within his abilities as well as our training staff to get him on the mound tonight. He knows the significance of the game, he knows the significance of going out and performing to the best of those abilities tonight. As we said all along through the three months down, there’s been no one that has been more frustrated than him and I think he’s done a good job of not succumbing to maybe some of the thoughts and the perception that’s out there.’
Farrell was also asked if the perception of Buchholz is altered because he is typically so forthcoming regarding his state of mind.
‘Clay doesn’t buy into that,’ the Red Sox manager said. ‘Obviously by the way he responds to questions is that he’s got nothing to hide. You know what he’s a player, he’s a pitcher, he’s a competitor ‘and this is who I am. I’m going to go out, I’m not hiding anything.’
Farrell also noted that David Ross is in the lineup for Jarrod Saltalamacchia in part due to the hope he can offer some more offensive production. In his two World Series starts, Saltlamacchia is 0-for-6 with four strikeouts, having walked twice.
‘We’re looking to get some spark, to get some offense going,’ Farrell said. ‘hat’s why David is in there today.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Cup of Coffee: Moore, Miller provide heroics as Drive win in 14
- Cup of Coffee: Rodriguez tosses complete game, Kopech stymies Asheville
- Cup of Coffee: McCarthy pitches Portland past Thunder
- Cup of Coffee: Gunkel perfect in relief, Miller walks off for Greenville
- Cup of Coffee: Dahlstrand cruises again in Salem's win
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson tosses complete game shutout
- Cup of Coffee: Chavis homers in 10th inning to lead Drive
- Weekly Notes: Blake Swihart's hot start; Rusney Castillo on the mend
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas struggles with command, Barnes bounces back
- Cup of Coffee: Swihart leads PawSox hit parade, Rodriguez earns first win