David Ortiz, David Ross expected to start again on Monday
|10.28.13 at 4:31 am ET|
ST. LOUIS — Red Sox manager John Farrell said after his team’s 4-2 win in Game 4 of the World Series that he expects to have David Ortiz at first base for the third straight contest in Game 5 of the World Series and that he “likely” will have catcher David Ross back in the starting lineup to work with starting pitcher Jon Lester.
The decision to have Ortiz start at first base has gone from complicated (based on the performance of Mike Napoli in the ALCS and World Series) to obvious. Ortiz went 3-for-3 with a double and walk on Sunday, and he’s now hitting an absurd .727 with a .750 OBP and 1.344 slugging mark in the World Series.
“Playing first base has certainly not affected [Ortiz’s hitting] in any way,” said Farrell. “He’ll be back in there [in Game 5] at first.”
The Sox are now 4-1 in the starts where Ross (who was 0-for-4 on Sunday) has started at catcher, including 2-1 with Lester.
“[Ross is] ready to go [Monday], and likely will be back there as he’s paired up with Jon Lester,” said Farrell. “Good game caller, as he’s always been known for. Very good at framing pitches. And ran a very good game once again tonight.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Cup of Coffee: Swihart leads PawSox hit parade, Rodriguez earns first win
- Cup of Coffee: Ball stymies Mudcats, Brentz leads Pawtucket past Rochester
- Swihart learning to catch the knuckler in Pawtucket
- System Restart 2015, Pt. 7: Low Minors Pitchers
- Cup of Coffee: Brentz walks off for PawSox home opener
- Cup of Coffee: Jackie Bradley Jr. continues hot start, Pawtucket falls in doubleheader
- System Restart 2015, Pt. 6: Mid-Minors Pitchers
- Cup of Coffee: Margot, Longhi, and Cecchini provide the power
- Podcast Ep. 73: Scout Talk and Season's Start
- Cup of Coffee: Abbreviated 2015 debuts for Kopech, Barnes