David Ortiz, David Ross expected to start again on Monday
|10.28.13 at 4:31 am ET|
ST. LOUIS — Red Sox manager John Farrell said after his team’s 4-2 win in Game 4 of the World Series that he expects to have David Ortiz at first base for the third straight contest in Game 5 of the World Series and that he “likely” will have catcher David Ross back in the starting lineup to work with starting pitcher Jon Lester.
The decision to have Ortiz start at first base has gone from complicated (based on the performance of Mike Napoli in the ALCS and World Series) to obvious. Ortiz went 3-for-3 with a double and walk on Sunday, and he’s now hitting an absurd .727 with a .750 OBP and 1.344 slugging mark in the World Series.
“Playing first base has certainly not affected [Ortiz’s hitting] in any way,” said Farrell. “He’ll be back in there [in Game 5] at first.”
The Sox are now 4-1 in the starts where Ross (who was 0-for-4 on Sunday) has started at catcher, including 2-1 with Lester.
“[Ross is] ready to go [Monday], and likely will be back there as he’s paired up with Jon Lester,” said Farrell. “Good game caller, as he’s always been known for. Very good at framing pitches. And ran a very good game once again tonight.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system
- Podcast Ep. #105: MoncadainBoston