Garin Cecchini, Mookie Betts named to Arizona Fall League All-Star Team
|10.28.13 at 9:34 pm ET|
ST. LOUIS — Although all of the focus on the Red Sox relates to the big league team’s pursuit of a victory in Game 5, two Red Sox minor leaguers are making news of their own.
It was announced on Monday that two Red Sox prospects playing in the Arizona Fall League, second baseman Mookie Betts and third baseman Garin Cecchini, have been named to the AFL All-Star team.
One of the top prospects in the Red Sox organization, Cecchini, who finished the minor league regular season in Double-A Portland, has posted a .268 average in 11 games so far. He’s collected only two extra-base hits in 41 at-bats (a .312 slugging percentage) but the third baseman ranks 13th in the league with a .412 OBP. After finishing the regular season with 94 walks compared to only 86 strikeouts, Cecchini continues the trend in Arizona, drawing nine walks while fanning only eight times.
Betts’ breakout success in 2013 has followed him to the AFL. The second baseman is batting a modest .233 with a .324 OBP, but went 3-for-6 in his first Fall League start and has clubbed two doubles and driven in three runs in nine contests. Betts, who finished the year with 38 stolen bases in 42 chances between Greenville and Salem in the regular season, had swiped four bases without being caught.
Betts and Cecchini are two of the eight Red Sox minor leaguers playing for the Surprise Saguaros in the AFL.
The Fall Stars game will take place on Nov. 2 at Surprise Stadium in Surprise, AZ, and will be broadcast live on MLB Network and MLB.com.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016