Garin Cecchini, Mookie Betts named to Arizona Fall League All-Star Team
|10.28.13 at 9:34 pm ET|
ST. LOUIS — Although all of the focus on the Red Sox relates to the big league team’s pursuit of a victory in Game 5, two Red Sox minor leaguers are making news of their own.
It was announced on Monday that two Red Sox prospects playing in the Arizona Fall League, second baseman Mookie Betts and third baseman Garin Cecchini, have been named to the AFL All-Star team.
One of the top prospects in the Red Sox organization, Cecchini, who finished the minor league regular season in Double-A Portland, has posted a .268 average in 11 games so far. He’s collected only two extra-base hits in 41 at-bats (a .312 slugging percentage) but the third baseman ranks 13th in the league with a .412 OBP. After finishing the regular season with 94 walks compared to only 86 strikeouts, Cecchini continues the trend in Arizona, drawing nine walks while fanning only eight times.
Betts’ breakout success in 2013 has followed him to the AFL. The second baseman is batting a modest .233 with a .324 OBP, but went 3-for-6 in his first Fall League start and has clubbed two doubles and driven in three runs in nine contests. Betts, who finished the year with 38 stolen bases in 42 chances between Greenville and Salem in the regular season, had swiped four bases without being caught.
Betts and Cecchini are two of the eight Red Sox minor leaguers playing for the Surprise Saguaros in the AFL.
The Fall Stars game will take place on Nov. 2 at Surprise Stadium in Surprise, AZ, and will be broadcast live on MLB Network and MLB.com.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Sam Travis highlights six announced for Arizona Fall League
- Moncada's big year nets him multiple South Atlantic League honors
- Cup of Coffee: Perez leads GCL Sox to walk-off win in finals opener
- Weekly Notes: Greenville makes playoff push, GCL Sox reach finals
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza, De Jesus pitch Sox into GCL finals
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi powers Greenville to victory
- Cup of Coffee: Callahan helps move Greenville into wild card lead
- Podcast Ep. 84: Mailbag extravaganza!
- Cup of Coffee: Longhi, Watkins power Greenville playoff push
- Cup of Coffee: Drive step closer to playoffs behind Drehoff, Moncada