Garin Cecchini, Mookie Betts named to Arizona Fall League All-Star Team
|10.28.13 at 9:34 pm ET|
ST. LOUIS — Although all of the focus on the Red Sox relates to the big league team’s pursuit of a victory in Game 5, two Red Sox minor leaguers are making news of their own.
It was announced on Monday that two Red Sox prospects playing in the Arizona Fall League, second baseman Mookie Betts and third baseman Garin Cecchini, have been named to the AFL All-Star team.
One of the top prospects in the Red Sox organization, Cecchini, who finished the minor league regular season in Double-A Portland, has posted a .268 average in 11 games so far. He’s collected only two extra-base hits in 41 at-bats (a .312 slugging percentage) but the third baseman ranks 13th in the league with a .412 OBP. After finishing the regular season with 94 walks compared to only 86 strikeouts, Cecchini continues the trend in Arizona, drawing nine walks while fanning only eight times.
Betts’ breakout success in 2013 has followed him to the AFL. The second baseman is batting a modest .233 with a .324 OBP, but went 3-for-6 in his first Fall League start and has clubbed two doubles and driven in three runs in nine contests. Betts, who finished the year with 38 stolen bases in 42 chances between Greenville and Salem in the regular season, had swiped four bases without being caught.
Betts and Cecchini are two of the eight Red Sox minor leaguers playing for the Surprise Saguaros in the AFL.
The Fall Stars game will take place on Nov. 2 at Surprise Stadium in Surprise, AZ, and will be broadcast live on MLB Network and MLB.com.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Hassan stays hot; Victorino looks strong in rehab
- Cup of Coffee: Heller and Martinez lead Salem; Travis powers Lowell
- Red Sox acquire left-hander Ryan Verdugo from Royals
- Players of the Week, 7/7-13: Alex Hassan & Steven Wright
- Cup of Coffee: Roberson powers Greenville past Rome
- Cup of Coffee: Moore homers twice to power Spinners
- Weekly Notes: Boston turns to Vazquez, Owens' star shines bright
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero leads PawSox, Spinners fall at Fenway
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson keeps rolling, Blair hits game-winner
- Scouting Scratch: Allen Webster and Dalier Hinojosa