Shane Victorino improved and available off bench, expected in Game 6 lineup
|10.28.13 at 6:17 pm ET|
ST. LOUIS — While Shane Victorino is not in the Game 5 lineup after getting scratched hours before the first pitch of Game 4 of the World Series, manager John Farrell said that the outfield has experienced considerable improvement in the lower back stiffness that sidelined him. Farrell said that Victorino might have been able to start Game 5, but given that there would be some question about the duration for which he could stay in the game, the determination was made to have him available off the bench as a late-innings replacement (capable of hitting or playing the outfield) with the expectation that he will be able to return to the lineup for Game 6.
“Pressed into it, we could probably start him, but with some uncertainty there on the duration, I don’t want to end up losing out on him and then using somebody else, have to pick him up,” said Farrell. “He’s available off the bench, but didn’t want to get into a situation, not knowing how long he could go, that we’d end up losing a player. We can use him a little more at our discretion that way.”
Farrell said that Victorino as much as Victorino “wants to be on the field,” he understood the decision to keep him out of the lineup for one more game.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016
- December Notes: Sox deal key prospects for Sale, Thornburg
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rodriguez tweaks knee, Castillo rakes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramirez debuts, Vazquez homers
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Abad debuts, Hernandez goes deep again