Shane Victorino improved and available off bench, expected in Game 6 lineup
|10.28.13 at 6:17 pm ET|
ST. LOUIS — While Shane Victorino is not in the Game 5 lineup after getting scratched hours before the first pitch of Game 4 of the World Series, manager John Farrell said that the outfield has experienced considerable improvement in the lower back stiffness that sidelined him. Farrell said that Victorino might have been able to start Game 5, but given that there would be some question about the duration for which he could stay in the game, the determination was made to have him available off the bench as a late-innings replacement (capable of hitting or playing the outfield) with the expectation that he will be able to return to the lineup for Game 6.
“Pressed into it, we could probably start him, but with some uncertainty there on the duration, I don’t want to end up losing out on him and then using somebody else, have to pick him up,” said Farrell. “He’s available off the bench, but didn’t want to get into a situation, not knowing how long he could go, that we’d end up losing a player. We can use him a little more at our discretion that way.”
Farrell said that Victorino as much as Victorino “wants to be on the field,” he understood the decision to keep him out of the lineup for one more game.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Owens reassigned to minors in latest roster cuts; Boggs released
- The Write-Up: More reports from Fort Myers
- Karsten Whitson close to his old self in Red Sox system
- 2015 Spring Training Reports
- With injury behind him, Longhi honing selective approach this spring
- Podcast Ep. 71: Spring Training Reports!
- Scouting Scratch: Trey Ball
- Fort Report: SoxProspects crew arrives in Fort Myers
- The Write-Up: More from the Fort
- Teddy Stankiewicz debuted streamlined delivery in first spring outing