Shane Victorino improved and available off bench, expected in Game 6 lineup
|10.28.13 at 6:17 pm ET|
ST. LOUIS — While Shane Victorino is not in the Game 5 lineup after getting scratched hours before the first pitch of Game 4 of the World Series, manager John Farrell said that the outfield has experienced considerable improvement in the lower back stiffness that sidelined him. Farrell said that Victorino might have been able to start Game 5, but given that there would be some question about the duration for which he could stay in the game, the determination was made to have him available off the bench as a late-innings replacement (capable of hitting or playing the outfield) with the expectation that he will be able to return to the lineup for Game 6.
“Pressed into it, we could probably start him, but with some uncertainty there on the duration, I don’t want to end up losing out on him and then using somebody else, have to pick him up,” said Farrell. “He’s available off the bench, but didn’t want to get into a situation, not knowing how long he could go, that we’d end up losing a player. We can use him a little more at our discretion that way.”
Farrell said that Victorino as much as Victorino “wants to be on the field,” he understood the decision to keep him out of the lineup for one more game.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Scouting Scratch: Henry Owens
- Cup of Coffee: Chris Marrero, pitching help PawSox clip Red Wings
- Cup of Coffee: Sermo homers three times; Basabe keeps streaking
- Scouting Scratch: Luis Alexander Basabe and Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Procyshen homers, Benintendi triples in victories
- Podcast Ep. #103: Yes Devers loves me, the homers tell me so
- Weekly notes: Benintendi moves to left field
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits, Kemp blasts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and Devers homer, Dalbec debuts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts in left, Basabe stays hot