Mike Napoli: ‘I want to be here. I love this place’
|10.31.13 at 3:01 am ET|
Mike Napoli thought he wasn’t going to have another shot in his foot to alleviate the plantar fasciitis in his left foot. Things changed.
Napoli said after the Red Sox‘ World Series-clinching win that he received his second cortisone shot at the beginning of the playoffs. The treatment helped the first baseman stay on the field, finishing the postseason having played in 15 games while hitting .217 with a .742 OPS and two home runs.
‘I wanted to do anything I could to try and stay on the field,’ he said. ‘This training staff has done such a great job with me. I was in there every day, working with me. They kept me on the field.’
Napoli ‘ who turns 32 years old Thursday — said he will not require surgery in the offseason, having been prescribed rest by the team’s medical staff.
He did reflect on the pain endured as the season progressed.
‘I was going to go out there regardless. But it sucked,’ said Napoli, who didn’t have any issues with the avascular necrosis condition diagnosed in his hips. ‘It’s painful, but you live for these moments and you do whatever you can to stay on the field.’
Napoli, who will be eligible for free agency this offseason, reiterated that it is his desire to return to the Red Sox.
‘I want to be here. I love this place,’ said Napoli, who made $13 million in his one-year deal this season. ‘They’ve treated me so good here. The way they’ve taken care of me, its’ unbelievable. When the time comes I’m pretty sure we’re going to have some conversations. I hope to be back here next year.’
Between the regular season and the postseason, Napoli finished with a .256 batting average, .833 OPS and 25 home runs. He also led the majors by taking 4.58 pitches per plate appearance.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday
- Kukuk arrested, charged with aggravated robbery
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Allen Webster
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Brandon Workman
- Alex Hassan claimed off waivers by Oakland
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: AFL winds down, Vazquez makes debut
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Jackie Bradley, Jr.