Report: Jacoby Ellsbury to have MRI after playing with injured hand
|10.31.13 at 11:54 am ET|
Ellsbury’s hand was discolored and severely swollen up to the forearm, the report indicates, leading to surprise from teammates that he was still playing.
Despite the injury, Ellsbury went 2-for-4 in Wednesday night’s clincher, wearing a protective brace over the wrapped hand. He was 4-for-20 in the World Series prior to Game 6.
Ellsbury is set to become a free agent, and the Red Sox are expected to make him a one-year qualifying offer so that they will get compensation in the form of a draft pick if he signs elsewhere.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Top 40 in Review: Deven Marrero and Trey Ball
- Help Wanted: Writers
- Top 40 in Review: Michael Kopech and Sean Coyle
- Top 40 in Review: Wendell Rijo and Edwin Escobar
- Top 40 Season in Review: Travis Shaw and Sam Travis
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Marrero dominates in AFL
- Top 40 in Review: Nick Longhi and Teddy Stankiewicz
- Top 40 in Review: Heath Hembree and Steven Wright
- Top 40 Season in Review: Javier Guerra and Henry Ramos
- Top 40 in Review: Simon Mercedes and Carlos Asuaje