Dustin Pedroia expects to undergo thumb surgery ‘probably in a couple weeks’
|11.01.13 at 4:21 pm ET|
In an appearance on WEEI’s Salk & Holley Friday afternoon, Dustin Pedroia said he expects to have surgery “probably in a couple weeks” to repair a torn thumb ligament he suffered on Opening Day.
Pedroia played with the injury all season. He said it forced him to shorten up his swing and not try to hit home runs as much as he might have in the past.
Pedroia said he still needs to have an MRI performed before the surgery is finalized. He’ll be examined by Dr. Donald Sheridan, the same doctor who performed the surgery on the hamate bone in Pedroia’s wrist after the 2007 season.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Help Wanted: Writers
- Top 40 in Review: Heath Hembree and Steven Wright
- Top 40 Season in Review: Javier Guerra and Henry Ramos
- Top 40 in Review: Simon Mercedes and Carlos Asuaje
- Top 40 Season in Review: Anderson Espinoza and Alex Hassan
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rivero, Castillo make early impressions
- Top 40 Season in Review: Noe Ramirez and Luis Diaz
- Top 40 Season in Review: Bryce Brentz and Christopher Acosta
- Top 40 Season in Review: Justin Haley and Jake Cosart
- Top 40 Season in Review: Drake Britton and Dalier Hinojosa