Dustin Pedroia expects to undergo thumb surgery ‘probably in a couple weeks’
|11.01.13 at 4:21 pm ET|
In an appearance on WEEI’s Salk & Holley Friday afternoon, Dustin Pedroia said he expects to have surgery “probably in a couple weeks” to repair a torn thumb ligament he suffered on Opening Day.
Pedroia played with the injury all season. He said it forced him to shorten up his swing and not try to hit home runs as much as he might have in the past.
Pedroia said he still needs to have an MRI performed before the surgery is finalized. He’ll be examined by Dr. Donald Sheridan, the same doctor who performed the surgery on the hamate bone in Pedroia’s wrist after the 2007 season.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Fort Report: Moncada Madness
- Podcast Ep. 70: Moncada signs, Ben Badler talks, PawSox sold!
- PawSox sold to group including Lucchino; reports say move to Providence likely
- Fort Report: Top prospects prepare for biggest tests yet
- Report: Red Sox have agreement to sign Moncada for $31.5M
- Unveiling the updated SoxProspects scouting reports, stage one
- Owens, Johnson among eight invited to Red Sox spring training
- Chicago Cubs claim Drake Britton off waivers
- Offseason Notes: Red Sox continue to shape roster
- Drake Britton designated for assignment as Red Sox sign Ogando