Dustin Pedroia expects to undergo thumb surgery ‘probably in a couple weeks’
|11.01.13 at 4:21 pm ET|
In an appearance on WEEI’s Salk & Holley Friday afternoon, Dustin Pedroia said he expects to have surgery “probably in a couple weeks” to repair a torn thumb ligament he suffered on Opening Day.
Pedroia played with the injury all season. He said it forced him to shorten up his swing and not try to hit home runs as much as he might have in the past.
Pedroia said he still needs to have an MRI performed before the surgery is finalized. He’ll be examined by Dr. Donald Sheridan, the same doctor who performed the surgery on the hamate bone in Pedroia’s wrist after the 2007 season.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Help Wanted: Writers
- Top 40 in Review: Michael Kopech and Sean Coyle
- Top 40 in Review: Wendell Rijo and Edwin Escobar
- Top 40 Season in Review: Travis Shaw and Sam Travis
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Marrero dominates in AFL
- Top 40 in Review: Nick Longhi and Teddy Stankiewicz
- Top 40 in Review: Heath Hembree and Steven Wright
- Top 40 Season in Review: Javier Guerra and Henry Ramos
- Top 40 in Review: Simon Mercedes and Carlos Asuaje
- Top 40 Season in Review: Anderson Espinoza and Alex Hassan