Source: Red Sox exercise $13 million option for Jon Lester
|11.01.13 at 5:40 pm ET|
Lester recently concluded the fifth year of a five-year, $30 million contract that had a team option for the 2014 season. The Sox had until midnight Saturday night to determine if they were going to pick up Lester’s option.
The 29-year-old has spent his entire eight-year career with the Red Sox. Last season, he went 15-8 with a 3.75 ERA over 213 1/3 innings in the regular season. Lester went 4-1 and allowed six runs over five postseason starts in the team’s postseason run to a World Series championship.
For more Red Sox coverage, visit weei.com/redsox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Weekly Notes: Red Sox win GCL title, Castillo debuts
- ESPN Boston: Farm clubs faring well
- Cup of Coffee: Rusney Castillo debuts, PawSox clinch wild card
- Red Sox acquire infielders Jemile Weeks and Ivan De Jesus
- Cup of Coffee: Haley, Light dominate, GCL takes game one
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson keeps rolling, GCL wins semifinal
- Cup of Coffee: Gonzalez leads combined no-hitter in DSL Playoff opener
- Cup of Coffee: Asuaje leads Salem to doubleheader split
- Players of the Week, 8/18-24: Brian Johnson & Mike Miller
- Cup of Coffee: Speier helps GCL Sox clinch division title