Source: Red Sox exercise $13 million option for Jon Lester
|11.01.13 at 5:40 pm ET|
Lester recently concluded the fifth year of a five-year, $30 million contract that had a team option for the 2014 season. The Sox had until midnight Saturday night to determine if they were going to pick up Lester’s option.
The 29-year-old has spent his entire eight-year career with the Red Sox. Last season, he went 15-8 with a 3.75 ERA over 213 1/3 innings in the regular season. Lester went 4-1 and allowed six runs over five postseason starts in the team’s postseason run to a World Series championship.
For more Red Sox coverage, visit weei.com/redsox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez gets into a groove, Basabe impresses
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Dayan Diaz and Edwin Escobar (UPDATED)
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Garin Cecchini and Yoan Aybar
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Kevin McAvoy and Bryce Brentz
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Travis leads way as Scottsdale wins AFL title
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Travis Lakins and Jalen Beeks
- Light, Jerez, and Hernandez added to 40-man roster
- Light, Hernandez top list of potential Friday roster additions
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Christopher Acosta and Ben Taylor
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Austin Glorius and Jordan Procyshen