Source: Red Sox exercise $13 million option for Jon Lester
|11.01.13 at 5:40 pm ET|
Lester recently concluded the fifth year of a five-year, $30 million contract that had a team option for the 2014 season. The Sox had until midnight Saturday night to determine if they were going to pick up Lester’s option.
The 29-year-old has spent his entire eight-year career with the Red Sox. Last season, he went 15-8 with a 3.75 ERA over 213 1/3 innings in the regular season. Lester went 4-1 and allowed six runs over five postseason starts in the team’s postseason run to a World Series championship.
For more Red Sox coverage, visit weei.com/redsox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Fort Report: Cuts, injuries and positional battles
- System Restart 2015, Pt. 1: Catchers
- With new delivery honed, Haley looks to build on breakout season
- Scouting Scratch: Yoan Moncada
- 2015 Spring Training Reports
- Owens reassigned to minors in latest roster cuts; Boggs released
- The Write-Up: More reports from Fort Myers
- Karsten Whitson close to his old self in Red Sox system
- With injury behind him, Longhi honing selective approach this spring
- Podcast Ep. 71: Spring Training Reports!