Red Sox decline option on LHP Matt Thornton
|11.02.13 at 5:23 pm ET|
The Red Sox announced on Saturday that they elected to decline the team’s $6 million option on left-handed reliever Matt Thornton, instead electing to pay the $1 million buyout. As a result, the veteran — acquired in July from the White Sox in exchange for minor league outfielder Brandon Jacobs — is a free agent.
The 37-year-old went 0-1 with a 3.52 ERA in 15 1/3 innings spanning 20 appearances with nine strikeouts and five walks for the Red Sox after the Sox traded for him on July 12, just before the All-Star break. Overall, he totaled an 0-4 record with a 3.74 ERA in 60 games out of the bullpen this season. Though he stayed with the Sox throughout the postseason in case the team needed an injury replacement, he was not on the playoff roster for any of the three rounds. The 10-year major league veteran is 32-42 with a 3.53 ERA in 606 career appearances, including one start.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies