Red Sox touch base with Jarrod Saltalamacchia
|11.05.13 at 9:34 pm ET|
According to Jarrod Saltalamacchia’s agent, Jim Munsey, the Red Sox have reached out to the catcher in an attempt too show the team’s interest in potentially re-signing the 28-year-old.
The Red Sox and Saltalamacchia’s representative touched base later in the day, Monday, after the team decided not to extend the catcher a qualifying offer. He had expressed some frustration earlier in the day while appearing on the Bradford Files podcast, wondering why the Sox hadn’t yet touched base regarding the parameters of their interest.
Saltalamacchia has received interest from multiple teams since becoming eligible for free agency.
The backstop is coming off his best all-around season, finishing with an .804 OPS, 14 home runs, 40 doubles and a .273 batting average. He also made noticeable strides defensively, dropping his catching ERA to under 4.00 (3.86 for the first time in his career).
Tim Dierkes of MLB Trade Rumors was first to report the contact between Saltalamacchia’s camp and the Red Sox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- David Ortiz Discusses Retirement from Baseball, Time with Red Sox
- Jackie Bradley Jr. Is Now a Red Sox Star
- Big Papi Cementing His Legend with a Bang
- Ortiz Passes Banks, Mathews for 22nd Place on MLB's HR List
- Red Sox's High-Octane Offense Fueling Rise Back to Prominence
- Red Sox Score Double-Digit Runs for 4th Consecutive Game
- Red Sox 1st Team Since 1999 to Score 13+ Runs in 3 Straight
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza dominates in mid-week matinee
- Cup of Coffee: Rodriguez fires seven strong innings in rehab start
- Cup of Coffee: Raudes strikes out eight over six scoreless frames
- Weekly Notes: Rodriguez to start tomorrow for Pawtucket
- Cup of Coffee: Ball shines again for Salem
- The Write-Up: Eduardo Rodriguez
- Cup of Coffee: Kemp homers twice, Light hits 101
- Cup of Coffee: Moore comes through in the clutch for Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada wins it in extras
- Cup of Coffee: Elias's career night powers Pawtucket