Red Sox touch base with Jarrod Saltalamacchia
|11.05.13 at 9:34 pm ET|
According to Jarrod Saltalamacchia’s agent, Jim Munsey, the Red Sox have reached out to the catcher in an attempt too show the team’s interest in potentially re-signing the 28-year-old.
The Red Sox and Saltalamacchia’s representative touched base later in the day, Monday, after the team decided not to extend the catcher a qualifying offer. He had expressed some frustration earlier in the day while appearing on the Bradford Files podcast, wondering why the Sox hadn’t yet touched base regarding the parameters of their interest.
Saltalamacchia has received interest from multiple teams since becoming eligible for free agency.
The backstop is coming off his best all-around season, finishing with an .804 OPS, 14 home runs, 40 doubles and a .273 batting average. He also made noticeable strides defensively, dropping his catching ERA to under 4.00 (3.86 for the first time in his career).
Tim Dierkes of MLB Trade Rumors was first to report the contact between Saltalamacchia’s camp and the Red Sox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Scouting Scratch: Yoan Moncada
- Owens reassigned to minors in latest roster cuts; Boggs released
- The Write-Up: More reports from Fort Myers
- Karsten Whitson close to his old self in Red Sox system
- 2015 Spring Training Reports
- With injury behind him, Longhi honing selective approach this spring
- Podcast Ep. 71: Spring Training Reports!
- Scouting Scratch: Trey Ball
- Fort Report: SoxProspects crew arrives in Fort Myers
- The Write-Up: More from the Fort