Red Sox touch base with Jarrod Saltalamacchia
|11.05.13 at 9:34 pm ET|
According to Jarrod Saltalamacchia’s agent, Jim Munsey, the Red Sox have reached out to the catcher in an attempt too show the team’s interest in potentially re-signing the 28-year-old.
The Red Sox and Saltalamacchia’s representative touched base later in the day, Monday, after the team decided not to extend the catcher a qualifying offer. He had expressed some frustration earlier in the day while appearing on the Bradford Files podcast, wondering why the Sox hadn’t yet touched base regarding the parameters of their interest.
Saltalamacchia has received interest from multiple teams since becoming eligible for free agency.
The backstop is coming off his best all-around season, finishing with an .804 OPS, 14 home runs, 40 doubles and a .273 batting average. He also made noticeable strides defensively, dropping his catching ERA to under 4.00 (3.86 for the first time in his career).
Tim Dierkes of MLB Trade Rumors was first to report the contact between Saltalamacchia’s camp and the Red Sox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Betts Has Real Chance of Crashing AL MVP Party
- MLB Betting Preview: Red Sox vs. Orioles Odds, Analysis
- David Ortiz Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Foot
- Can Benintendi Be Pennant Race Difference-Maker?
- Updates on Red Sox Star Hanley Ramirez's Injury
- Andrew Benintendi Recalled from Double-a
- Fernando Abad to Red Sox
- Return to past hitting mechanics fueling Bobby Dalbec's success
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and LaMarre lead the way for PawSox
- Weekly Notes: Moncada, Devers, Tavarez nab postseason awards
- Cup of Coffee: Salem walks off, Downs homers
- Cup of Coffee: Groome impresses while Johnson falters
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects five hits, Chatham belts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon comes up clutch, Dalbec stays hot for Lowell
- Scouting Scratch: Mike Shawaryn and Shaun Anderson
- Cup of Coffee: LaMarre powers Pawtucket, Kopech whiffs 10
- After draft slide, Shawaryn regaining peak form in Lowell