Red Sox touch base with Jarrod Saltalamacchia
|11.05.13 at 9:34 pm ET|
According to Jarrod Saltalamacchia’s agent, Jim Munsey, the Red Sox have reached out to the catcher in an attempt too show the team’s interest in potentially re-signing the 28-year-old.
The Red Sox and Saltalamacchia’s representative touched base later in the day, Monday, after the team decided not to extend the catcher a qualifying offer. He had expressed some frustration earlier in the day while appearing on the Bradford Files podcast, wondering why the Sox hadn’t yet touched base regarding the parameters of their interest.
Saltalamacchia has received interest from multiple teams since becoming eligible for free agency.
The backstop is coming off his best all-around season, finishing with an .804 OPS, 14 home runs, 40 doubles and a .273 batting average. He also made noticeable strides defensively, dropping his catching ERA to under 4.00 (3.86 for the first time in his career).
Tim Dierkes of MLB Trade Rumors was first to report the contact between Saltalamacchia’s camp and the Red Sox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Cup of Coffee: Portland mashes, Johnson headlines strong night of pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Chatham comes up clutch, Downs lifts Lowell
- Scouting Scratch: Henry Owens
- Cup of Coffee: Chris Marrero, pitching help PawSox clip Red Wings
- Cup of Coffee: Sermo homers three times; Basabe keeps streaking
- Scouting Scratch: Luis Alexander Basabe and Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Procyshen homers, Benintendi triples in victories
- Podcast Ep. #103: Yes Devers loves me, the homers tell me so
- Weekly notes: Benintendi moves to left field
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits, Kemp blasts two homers