Report: Stephen Drew not expected to accept qualifying offer
|11.07.13 at 11:15 pm ET|
According to Peter Gammons of GammonsDaily.com, Stephen Drew’s agent Scott Boras has already scheduled numerous meetings with teams at next week’s general managers meetings in Orlando, suggesting the shortstop has no plans to accept the Red Sox‘ one-year qualifying offer of $14.1 million.
GM:"Forget Stephen Drew accepting the $14M. Scott(Boras) already has set up a number of meetings on Drew for Tuesday at the GM meetings."
— Peter Gammons (@pgammo) November 8, 2013
The deadline for any of the 13 free agents who were accepted qualifying offers to accept the one-year deal is Monday, which is the day the GM meetings begin.
One baseball executive suggested to WEEI.com Thursday that there is a growing sentiment that Drew might re-sign with the Red Sox on a multi-year deal after rebuffing the team’s qualifying offer. The Sox would be the only team eligible to sign Drew without surrendering a draft pick.
Appearing on Keith Law’s ESPN podcast, Boras said that as many as seven or eight major league teams could “change the dynamic of the production of their infield” with the signing of the shortstop. (To listen to Boras discuss Drew, click here and go to 11 minutes into the podcast.)
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Cup of Coffee: Aro throws four perfect innings, Rodriguez improves to 3-0
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas tosses Portland past Reading
- Red Sox to recall top prospect Blake Swihart
- Ty Buttrey promoted to Salem; Dedgar Jimenez joins Drive
- Cup of Coffee: Wright dazzles; Salem, Greenville lose heartbreakers
- Owens working through struggles while developing new pitch
- Cup of Coffee: Castillo returns, Drive explode for 11 in win
- Hinojosa and Layne recalled, Bradley optioned, Varvaro DFA'd
- Cup of Coffee: Swihart continues to sizzle, Witte impresses for Sea Dogs
- Red Sox to recall Jackie Bradley Jr. from Pawtucket