Report: Stephen Drew not expected to accept qualifying offer
|11.07.13 at 11:15 pm ET|
According to Peter Gammons of GammonsDaily.com, Stephen Drew’s agent Scott Boras has already scheduled numerous meetings with teams at next week’s general managers meetings in Orlando, suggesting the shortstop has no plans to accept the Red Sox‘ one-year qualifying offer of $14.1 million.
GM:"Forget Stephen Drew accepting the $14M. Scott(Boras) already has set up a number of meetings on Drew for Tuesday at the GM meetings."
— Peter Gammons (@pgammo) November 8, 2013
The deadline for any of the 13 free agents who were accepted qualifying offers to accept the one-year deal is Monday, which is the day the GM meetings begin.
One baseball executive suggested to WEEI.com Thursday that there is a growing sentiment that Drew might re-sign with the Red Sox on a multi-year deal after rebuffing the team’s qualifying offer. The Sox would be the only team eligible to sign Drew without surrendering a draft pick.
Appearing on Keith Law’s ESPN podcast, Boras said that as many as seven or eight major league teams could “change the dynamic of the production of their infield” with the signing of the shortstop. (To listen to Boras discuss Drew, click here and go to 11 minutes into the podcast.)
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs