Report: Stephen Drew not expected to accept qualifying offer
|11.07.13 at 11:15 pm ET|
According to Peter Gammons of GammonsDaily.com, Stephen Drew’s agent Scott Boras has already scheduled numerous meetings with teams at next week’s general managers meetings in Orlando, suggesting the shortstop has no plans to accept the Red Sox‘ one-year qualifying offer of $14.1 million.
GM:"Forget Stephen Drew accepting the $14M. Scott(Boras) already has set up a number of meetings on Drew for Tuesday at the GM meetings."
— Peter Gammons (@pgammo) November 8, 2013
The deadline for any of the 13 free agents who were accepted qualifying offers to accept the one-year deal is Monday, which is the day the GM meetings begin.
One baseball executive suggested to WEEI.com Thursday that there is a growing sentiment that Drew might re-sign with the Red Sox on a multi-year deal after rebuffing the team’s qualifying offer. The Sox would be the only team eligible to sign Drew without surrendering a draft pick.
Appearing on Keith Law’s ESPN podcast, Boras said that as many as seven or eight major league teams could “change the dynamic of the production of their infield” with the signing of the shortstop. (To listen to Boras discuss Drew, click here and go to 11 minutes into the podcast.)
Latest from Bleacher Report
- David Ortiz Discusses Retirement from Baseball, Time with Red Sox
- Jackie Bradley Jr. Is Now a Red Sox Star
- Big Papi Cementing His Legend with a Bang
- Ortiz Passes Banks, Mathews for 22nd Place on MLB's HR List
- Red Sox's High-Octane Offense Fueling Rise Back to Prominence
- Red Sox Score Double-Digit Runs for 4th Consecutive Game
- Red Sox 1st Team Since 1999 to Score 13+ Runs in 3 Straight
- Cup of Coffee: Raudes strikes out eight over six scoreless frames
- Weekly Notes: Rodriguez to start tomorrow for Pawtucket
- Cup of Coffee: Ball shines again for Salem
- The Write-Up: Eduardo Rodriguez
- Cup of Coffee: Kemp homers twice, Light hits 101
- Cup of Coffee: Moore comes through in the clutch for Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada wins it in extras
- Cup of Coffee: Elias's career night powers Pawtucket
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi drives in two to boost Couch, Sea Dogs
- Cup of Coffee: Kelly eyes return to Boston with 10 strikeouts