Mike Napoli reportedly receives offer from Red Sox but plans to shop around
|11.08.13 at 12:25 pm ET|
Napoli was one of the three players the Red Sox tendered with a one-year $14.1 million qualifying offer, meaning if he signs elsewhere the Red Sox would receiver a draft pick.
Napoli signed a one-year deal with the Sox last offseason, shortening an original three-year, $39 million pact after the team expressed concerns about a degenerative hip condition.
An eight-year MLB veteran, Napoli is a career .259/.357/.502 hitter with 169 home runs and 472 RBIs. In 2013 he hit .259/.360/.482 with 23 home runs and 92 RBIs while amassing a career-high 187 strikeouts as well as a career-high 73 walks.
He went 2-for-13 (.154) in both the ALDS and the World Series, but he hit .300 in the ALCS and ripped a home run off Tigers ace Justin Verlander in Game 3 to give the Red Sox a 1-0 victory. He also homered in the Sox’ 4-3 Game 5 victory, going 3-for-4 in that game.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fort Report: Spring training games begin
- Fort Report: Rankings, returns, & reporting to camp
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals