Mike Napoli reportedly receives offer from Red Sox but plans to shop around
|11.08.13 at 12:25 pm ET|
Napoli was one of the three players the Red Sox tendered with a one-year $14.1 million qualifying offer, meaning if he signs elsewhere the Red Sox would receiver a draft pick.
Napoli signed a one-year deal with the Sox last offseason, shortening an original three-year, $39 million pact after the team expressed concerns about a degenerative hip condition.
An eight-year MLB veteran, Napoli is a career .259/.357/.502 hitter with 169 home runs and 472 RBIs. In 2013 he hit .259/.360/.482 with 23 home runs and 92 RBIs while amassing a career-high 187 strikeouts as well as a career-high 73 walks.
He went 2-for-13 (.154) in both the ALDS and the World Series, but he hit .300 in the ALCS and ripped a home run off Tigers ace Justin Verlander in Game 3 to give the Red Sox a 1-0 victory. He also homered in the Sox’ 4-3 Game 5 victory, going 3-for-4 in that game.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Betts Has Real Chance of Crashing AL MVP Party
- MLB Betting Preview: Red Sox vs. Orioles Odds, Analysis
- David Ortiz Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Foot
- Can Benintendi Be Pennant Race Difference-Maker?
- Updates on Red Sox Star Hanley Ramirez's Injury
- Andrew Benintendi Recalled from Double-a
- Fernando Abad to Red Sox
- After draft slide, Shawaryn regaining peak form in Lowell
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada shows off power and defense as he eyes the big leagues
- 2014 First-rounder Michael Chavis promoted to High A Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Jason Groome era begins with two scoreless innings
- Weekly Notes: Groome debuts, Kopech and Dalbec stay hot
- Cup of Coffee: Salem wins 10th straight, Hill, Tubbs carry Lowell
- Podcast Ep. #104: BeninBoston
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Luis Alexander Basabe
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits in Portland's slugfest
- Cup of Coffee: Dalbec keeps hitting, Dubon, Atkins lead Portland