Free agents Jacoby Ellsbury, Stephen Drew officially decline qualifying offers
|11.11.13 at 5:24 pm ET|
Free agents Stephen Drew, Jacoby Ellsbury and Mike Napoli all declined the one-year, $14.1 million qualifying offers from the Red Sox, the team announced. As a result, all three players will be free to negotiate with all 30 teams, including the Red Sox. There are no deadlines for such negotiations and/or agreements. If any of those three players signs with a team other than the Sox, then Boston would receive a compensatory draft pick between the first and second rounds of the 2014 draft as a result of their departure(s).
Napoli’s decision was reported earlier on Monday by WEEI.com. The 32-year-old underwent an MRI last week that showed no deterioration in his hips in the 11 months since he was diagnosed with (and treated for) avascular necrosis, a degenerative condition. Given his health and production, Napoli wanted to pursue a multi-year deal following a 2013 campaign in which he hit .259/.360/.482 with 23 homers in the regular season.
Drew, 30, hit .253/.333/.443 with 13 homers in 124 regular season games at shortstop for the Red Sox while playing defense at a sufficiently impressive level to remain in the lineup throughout the postseason even when he was struggling.
Ellsbury, 30, hit .298/.355/.426 with nine homers and 52 steals in 134 games in 2013.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- David Ortiz Discusses Retirement from Baseball, Time with Red Sox
- Jackie Bradley Jr. Is Now a Red Sox Star
- Big Papi Cementing His Legend with a Bang
- Ortiz Passes Banks, Mathews for 22nd Place on MLB's HR List
- Red Sox's High-Octane Offense Fueling Rise Back to Prominence
- Red Sox Score Double-Digit Runs for 4th Consecutive Game
- Red Sox 1st Team Since 1999 to Score 13+ Runs in 3 Straight
- Cup of Coffee: Rodriguez fires seven strong innings in rehab start
- Cup of Coffee: Raudes strikes out eight over six scoreless frames
- Weekly Notes: Rodriguez to start tomorrow for Pawtucket
- Cup of Coffee: Ball shines again for Salem
- The Write-Up: Eduardo Rodriguez
- Cup of Coffee: Kemp homers twice, Light hits 101
- Cup of Coffee: Moore comes through in the clutch for Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada wins it in extras
- Cup of Coffee: Elias's career night powers Pawtucket
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi drives in two to boost Couch, Sea Dogs