Free agents Jacoby Ellsbury, Stephen Drew officially decline qualifying offers
|11.11.13 at 5:24 pm ET|
Free agents Stephen Drew, Jacoby Ellsbury and Mike Napoli all declined the one-year, $14.1 million qualifying offers from the Red Sox, the team announced. As a result, all three players will be free to negotiate with all 30 teams, including the Red Sox. There are no deadlines for such negotiations and/or agreements. If any of those three players signs with a team other than the Sox, then Boston would receive a compensatory draft pick between the first and second rounds of the 2014 draft as a result of their departure(s).
Napoli’s decision was reported earlier on Monday by WEEI.com. The 32-year-old underwent an MRI last week that showed no deterioration in his hips in the 11 months since he was diagnosed with (and treated for) avascular necrosis, a degenerative condition. Given his health and production, Napoli wanted to pursue a multi-year deal following a 2013 campaign in which he hit .259/.360/.482 with 23 homers in the regular season.
Drew, 30, hit .253/.333/.443 with 13 homers in 124 regular season games at shortstop for the Red Sox while playing defense at a sufficiently impressive level to remain in the lineup throughout the postseason even when he was struggling.
Ellsbury, 30, hit .298/.355/.426 with nine homers and 52 steals in 134 games in 2013.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system
- Podcast Ep. #105: MoncadainBoston