Free agents Jacoby Ellsbury, Stephen Drew officially decline qualifying offers
|11.11.13 at 5:24 pm ET|
Free agents Stephen Drew, Jacoby Ellsbury and Mike Napoli all declined the one-year, $14.1 million qualifying offers from the Red Sox, the team announced. As a result, all three players will be free to negotiate with all 30 teams, including the Red Sox. There are no deadlines for such negotiations and/or agreements. If any of those three players signs with a team other than the Sox, then Boston would receive a compensatory draft pick between the first and second rounds of the 2014 draft as a result of their departure(s).
Napoli’s decision was reported earlier on Monday by WEEI.com. The 32-year-old underwent an MRI last week that showed no deterioration in his hips in the 11 months since he was diagnosed with (and treated for) avascular necrosis, a degenerative condition. Given his health and production, Napoli wanted to pursue a multi-year deal following a 2013 campaign in which he hit .259/.360/.482 with 23 homers in the regular season.
Drew, 30, hit .253/.333/.443 with 13 homers in 124 regular season games at shortstop for the Red Sox while playing defense at a sufficiently impressive level to remain in the lineup throughout the postseason even when he was struggling.
Ellsbury, 30, hit .298/.355/.426 with nine homers and 52 steals in 134 games in 2013.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday
- Kukuk arrested, charged with aggravated robbery
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Allen Webster
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Brandon Workman
- Alex Hassan claimed off waivers by Oakland
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: AFL winds down, Vazquez makes debut
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Jackie Bradley, Jr.