Red Sox GM Ben Cherington named Sporting News Executive of the Year
|11.12.13 at 7:17 am ET|
Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington was named Sporting News Executive of the Year on Monday night for his role in turning around the team.
“Definitely unexpected,” Cherington told reporters at the GM meetings in Orlando. “I consider this to be an award for the organization, not for me. Coming off the year we had in 2012, I also sort of see it as usually an award that goes to an organization that does work over a period of time and not necessarily in one year.”
The award was based on a vote of 31 major league executives prior to the postseason.
Cherington received 15 votes to beat out Pittsburgh’s Neal Huntington (9), Kansas City’s Dayton Moore (4) and Atlanta’s Frank Wren (3).
The Red Sox finished last in the American League East in 2012 but rebounded to win the World Series this year after Cherington replaced Bobby Valentine with John Farrell and made some key free agent acquisitions last offseason.
Now he faces another challenge, with Jacoby Ellsbury heading the list of Red Sox free agents he either needs to re-sign or replace.
“I think by now everyone has forgotten the World Series,” Cherington said, “and it’s on to the offseason work.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Rookie Dev Program notes: Ramos healthy, Swihart looks back
- Mookie Betts is prepared for whatever 2015 may bring
- Brian Johnson prepared to follow up stellar 2014 campaign
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Weeks helps Mayaguez advance to finals
- Rookie Development Program easing transition for young players
- Offseason Notes: Veterans Bianchi, Boggs highlight minor league signings
- Red Sox acquire Danny Rosenbaum from Nationals for Dan Butler
- Red Sox announce front office moves
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Playoffs begin, Marban pitches well in Australia
- Betts, Castillo highlight Red Sox Rookie Development Program participants