Source: Red Sox have not started talking extension with Jon Lester
|11.12.13 at 7:46 pm ET|
ORLANDO — According to a team source, the Red Sox have not started talking about a contract extension for Jon Lester. The Sox are expected, however, to open negotiations with the starter around spring training.
Lester is in the final year of his current deal, with the Red Sox having picked up his $13 million option earlier in the offseason.
With Lester’s AAV counting for just more than $9 million (see an explanation of the pitcher’s luxury tax hit by clicking here), it would make sense for the red Sox to wait until after Opening Day for any agreement to be put in place.
Other members of the Red Sox’ starting rotation who are in the final years of their contract are Ryan Dempster and Jake Peavy. John Lackey’s team option for 2015 will most certainly be exercised considering it will be for the major league minimum due to a clause in his deal that protected the team against any serious arm injuries.
Clay Buchholz is under the Red Sox’ control through the ’17 season, with a $13 million club option for ’16 and one for $13.5 the following season.
Because of their current commitments in the rotation, the Red Sox don’t figure to be in on such high-priced starting options as Japanese hurler Masahiro Tanaka. The righty is slated to be posted by his current team, Tohoku Rakuten, whom he went 24-0 with during this past season.
“I don’t want to rule anything out. It’s November,” said Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington. “But we have a lot invested in that area already and feel pretty good. Relative to other areas of the team, that’s an area we have a little more depth already.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016