Koji Uehara finishes seventh in AL Cy Young voting
|11.13.13 at 7:50 pm ET|
Red Sox closer Koji Uehara, who set the record for the lowest WHIP in baseball history while also becoming the first pitcher ever with at least 100 strikeouts and fewer than 10 walks, finished seventh in American League Cy Young balloting, an award claimed handily by Tigers right-hander Max Scherzer.
Uehara, 38, had a 1.09 ERA while striking out 101 and walking nine in 74 1/3 inning spanning 73 regular season games. His 0.565 WHIP was the lowest ever by a pitcher who worked at least 50 innings in a year, surpassing the prior standard of 0.607 set by Dennis Eckersley in 1989. He recorded 21 saves, stabilizing the back end of the Red Sox bullpen. His efforts were recognized with one second-place and two third-place votes in Cy Young voting, becoming one of just two relievers to receive votes this year. (The other was Royals reliever Greg Holland, who received a fourth-place and two fifth-place votes.)
Still, in a strong year for starters, Uehara was well behind winner Scherzer, who went 21-3 with a 2.90 ERA while punching out 10.1 batters per nine innings and walking just 2.4. He received 28 of 30 first-place votes, finishing with 203 points, and was the only pitcher who appeared on all 30 ballots for AL pitchers. Rangers right-hander Yu Darvish finished in second place with 19 second-place votes and 93 points, while Mariners starter Hisashi Iwakuma finished third with 73 points. The non-Scherzer first-place votes went to Tigers right-hander Anibal Sanchez, who led the AL in ERA, and White Sox lefty Chris Sale.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins