Red Sox have made offer to Jarrod Saltalamacchia
|11.13.13 at 9:26 pm ET|
An industry source confirmed reports that the Red Sox have made a formal contract offer to catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia. The source did not detail specific the terms of the offer, but CBSSports.com reports that the offer was for two years and “is believed to have been for something less than $10 million a year.”
According to sources, Saltalamacchia is not close to a deal with any team at this point, as the 28-year-old free agent — like most of his colleagues — is in the early stages of gauging the market, with the expectation that a deal of three or more years is likely given his age, career-best performance in 2013 (a .273/.338/.466 line in 121 regular season games) and the fact that, unlike fellow free agent Brian McCann, he won’t require teams to give up a draft pick. Moreover, with the Twins moving Joe Mauer from behind the plate to first base, there is an interesting wrinkle to the offseason’s supply/demand dynamic at the position, given the addition of a new team to the marketplace for catchers.
The Sox, meanwhile, were not close to a deal for a catcher as of this afternoon, though the team has made at least the offer to Saltalamacchia, and possibly to other catchers, including Carlos Ruiz, a 34-year-old free agent who hit .268 with a .320 OBP and .368 slugging mark for the Phillies last year, down from a career line of .274/.358/.412.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Cup of Coffee: Sermo homers three times; Basabe keeps streaking
- Scouting Scratch: Luis Alexander Basabe and Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Procyshen homers, Benintendi triples in victories
- Podcast Ep. #103: Yes Devers loves me, the homers tell me so
- Weekly notes: Benintendi moves to left field
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits, Kemp blasts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and Devers homer, Dalbec debuts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts in left, Basabe stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd spins gem, Hill stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Mendoza leads DSL 1 in lone affiliate victory