Red Sox have made offer to Jarrod Saltalamacchia
|11.13.13 at 9:26 pm ET|
An industry source confirmed reports that the Red Sox have made a formal contract offer to catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia. The source did not detail specific the terms of the offer, but CBSSports.com reports that the offer was for two years and “is believed to have been for something less than $10 million a year.”
According to sources, Saltalamacchia is not close to a deal with any team at this point, as the 28-year-old free agent — like most of his colleagues — is in the early stages of gauging the market, with the expectation that a deal of three or more years is likely given his age, career-best performance in 2013 (a .273/.338/.466 line in 121 regular season games) and the fact that, unlike fellow free agent Brian McCann, he won’t require teams to give up a draft pick. Moreover, with the Twins moving Joe Mauer from behind the plate to first base, there is an interesting wrinkle to the offseason’s supply/demand dynamic at the position, given the addition of a new team to the marketplace for catchers.
The Sox, meanwhile, were not close to a deal for a catcher as of this afternoon, though the team has made at least the offer to Saltalamacchia, and possibly to other catchers, including Carlos Ruiz, a 34-year-old free agent who hit .268 with a .320 OBP and .368 slugging mark for the Phillies last year, down from a career line of .274/.358/.412.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs