Red Sox have made offer to Jarrod Saltalamacchia
|11.13.13 at 9:26 pm ET|
An industry source confirmed reports that the Red Sox have made a formal contract offer to catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia. The source did not detail specific the terms of the offer, but CBSSports.com reports that the offer was for two years and “is believed to have been for something less than $10 million a year.”
According to sources, Saltalamacchia is not close to a deal with any team at this point, as the 28-year-old free agent — like most of his colleagues — is in the early stages of gauging the market, with the expectation that a deal of three or more years is likely given his age, career-best performance in 2013 (a .273/.338/.466 line in 121 regular season games) and the fact that, unlike fellow free agent Brian McCann, he won’t require teams to give up a draft pick. Moreover, with the Twins moving Joe Mauer from behind the plate to first base, there is an interesting wrinkle to the offseason’s supply/demand dynamic at the position, given the addition of a new team to the marketplace for catchers.
The Sox, meanwhile, were not close to a deal for a catcher as of this afternoon, though the team has made at least the offer to Saltalamacchia, and possibly to other catchers, including Carlos Ruiz, a 34-year-old free agent who hit .268 with a .320 OBP and .368 slugging mark for the Phillies last year, down from a career line of .274/.358/.412.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Red Sox Outfielder Chris Young Injury's
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- Can Red Sox Make Real Run at 1,000 Runs in 2016?
- 2016 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!
- Chris Marrero, Sean O'Sullivan selected to Int'l League All-Star Team
- Scouting Scratch: Josh Pennington, Darwinzon Hernandez and Gerson Bautista
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi celebrates Futures Game selection with four-hit night
- Moncada and Benintendi named to Futures Game
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson strikes out eight to make his case
- Podcast Ep. #100: Your regularly scheduled June programming
- Red Sox promote Miller, option Cuevas
- Weekly Notes: Promotions continue and scouting notes
- Cup of Coffee: Ball great again, Benintendi stays hot