Red Sox have made offer to Jarrod Saltalamacchia
|11.13.13 at 9:26 pm ET|
An industry source confirmed reports that the Red Sox have made a formal contract offer to catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia. The source did not detail specific the terms of the offer, but CBSSports.com reports that the offer was for two years and “is believed to have been for something less than $10 million a year.”
According to sources, Saltalamacchia is not close to a deal with any team at this point, as the 28-year-old free agent — like most of his colleagues — is in the early stages of gauging the market, with the expectation that a deal of three or more years is likely given his age, career-best performance in 2013 (a .273/.338/.466 line in 121 regular season games) and the fact that, unlike fellow free agent Brian McCann, he won’t require teams to give up a draft pick. Moreover, with the Twins moving Joe Mauer from behind the plate to first base, there is an interesting wrinkle to the offseason’s supply/demand dynamic at the position, given the addition of a new team to the marketplace for catchers.
The Sox, meanwhile, were not close to a deal for a catcher as of this afternoon, though the team has made at least the offer to Saltalamacchia, and possibly to other catchers, including Carlos Ruiz, a 34-year-old free agent who hit .268 with a .320 OBP and .368 slugging mark for the Phillies last year, down from a career line of .274/.358/.412.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Kevin McAvoy and Bryce Brentz
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Travis leads way as Scottsdale wins AFL title
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Travis Lakins and Jalen Beeks
- Light, Jerez, and Hernandez added to 40-man roster
- Light, Hernandez top list of potential Friday roster additions
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Christopher Acosta and Ben Taylor
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Austin Glorius and Jordan Procyshen
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Travis blasts walk-off home run
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Chandler Shepherd and Kyle Martin
- Podcast Ep. 88: Breaking down the Kimbrel trade