Red Sox owner John Henry on Manager of the Year: ‘You writers are a strange breed’
|11.13.13 at 2:32 pm ET|
“You writers are a strange breed,” mused Henry. “From where I sit, sometimes, it’s strange. Now that I’m in your business [a reference to his recent purchase of The Boston Globe] … I don’t think I have that much say, but maybe I’ll be better to understand how these relationships work.”
Henry said that he had been led to expect that Farrell would win the honor.
“He did win the Sporting News Award for Manager of the Year. That obviously must be a better way to choose,” Henry joked. “Every writer I talked to last night, and there were a lot of writers, they were incredulous. … I talked to one voter who said, ‘This is such a waste of time.’ When he was filling it out, he said, ‘It was a waste of time because it was a foregone conclusion.’ “
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Trade Analysis: Scouting Anthony Ranaudo
- Red Sox deal Anthony Ranaudo to Rangers for Robbie Ross Jr.
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Perth heads to the playoffs
- Rookie Dev Program notes: Ramos healthy, Swihart looks back
- Mookie Betts is prepared for whatever 2015 may bring
- Brian Johnson prepared to follow up stellar 2014 campaign
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Weeks helps Mayaguez advance to finals
- Rookie Development Program easing transition for young players
- Offseason Notes: Veterans Bianchi, Boggs highlight minor league signings
- Red Sox acquire Danny Rosenbaum from Nationals for Dan Butler