Red Sox owner John Henry on Manager of the Year: ‘You writers are a strange breed’
|11.13.13 at 2:32 pm ET|
“You writers are a strange breed,” mused Henry. “From where I sit, sometimes, it’s strange. Now that I’m in your business [a reference to his recent purchase of The Boston Globe] … I don’t think I have that much say, but maybe I’ll be better to understand how these relationships work.”
Henry said that he had been led to expect that Farrell would win the honor.
“He did win the Sporting News Award for Manager of the Year. That obviously must be a better way to choose,” Henry joked. “Every writer I talked to last night, and there were a lot of writers, they were incredulous. … I talked to one voter who said, ‘This is such a waste of time.’ When he was filling it out, he said, ‘It was a waste of time because it was a foregone conclusion.’ “
Latest from Bleacher Report
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday
- Kukuk arrested, charged with aggravated robbery
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Allen Webster
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Brandon Workman
- Alex Hassan claimed off waivers by Oakland
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: AFL winds down, Vazquez makes debut
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Jackie Bradley, Jr.