Red Sox owner John Henry on Manager of the Year: ‘You writers are a strange breed’
|11.13.13 at 2:32 pm ET|
“You writers are a strange breed,” mused Henry. “From where I sit, sometimes, it’s strange. Now that I’m in your business [a reference to his recent purchase of The Boston Globe] … I don’t think I have that much say, but maybe I’ll be better to understand how these relationships work.”
Henry said that he had been led to expect that Farrell would win the honor.
“He did win the Sporting News Award for Manager of the Year. That obviously must be a better way to choose,” Henry joked. “Every writer I talked to last night, and there were a lot of writers, they were incredulous. … I talked to one voter who said, ‘This is such a waste of time.’ When he was filling it out, he said, ‘It was a waste of time because it was a foregone conclusion.’ “
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Podcast Ep. 70: Moncada signs, Ben Badler talks, PawSox sold!
- PawSox sold to group including Lucchino; reports say move to Providence likely
- Fort Report: Top prospects prepare for biggest tests yet
- Report: Red Sox have agreement to sign Moncada for $31.5M
- Unveiling the updated SoxProspects scouting reports, stage one
- Owens, Johnson among eight invited to Red Sox spring training
- Chicago Cubs claim Drake Britton off waivers
- Offseason Notes: Red Sox continue to shape roster
- Drake Britton designated for assignment as Red Sox sign Ogando
- Trade Analysis: Scouting Anthony Ranaudo