Source: Red Sox ‘haven’t closed the door’ on Stephen Drew returning
|11.14.13 at 11:17 am ET|
An ESPNBoston.com report stated that, according to a source, Drew wouldn’t be signing with the Red Sox because there were “a number of teams willing to make multiyear offers for his services beyond anything Boston would do.”
‘The idea of Stephen is a top-five defensive player, and offensively his OPS is fourth among shortstops,” Boras said. “He provides a lot of player. Is very, very sure-handed. And wherever Stephen Drew goes he ends up in the playoffs. I think a large part of the Red Sox’ acumen and [GM Ben Cherington‘s] instinct for what makes a winning team is [shown] in the acquisition of Stephen Drew.’
The agent later added, ‘If you want to win and you want a middle of the diamond player ‘¦ a lot good teams need upgrades in the middle of the diamond so he’s got a very active and very large market.’
The Mets and Cardinals are two teams that are considered to have interest in Drew. The 31-year-old would cost any team (except the Red Sox) a draft pick if it was to sign the shortstop.
When asked if he was starting to set deadline for free agents to make up their minds, in order for the Red Sox to move forward, Cherington said Wednesday that the team hasn’t had to resort to such a tactic quite yet.
“We’re not at that point yet,” Cherington said. “If it does get to that point, we’ll communicate that. We’ve got to be working on other things at the same time, and we are. He’s got to go through what he needs to go through for his clients, and we get that. There will be time to talk in between. At some point, decisions have to be made and we’ll communicate that, but we’re not at that point yet.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Fort Report: Another round of cuts as Opening Day nears
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players