Source: Red Sox ‘haven’t closed the door’ on Stephen Drew returning
|11.14.13 at 11:17 am ET|
An ESPNBoston.com report stated that, according to a source, Drew wouldn’t be signing with the Red Sox because there were “a number of teams willing to make multiyear offers for his services beyond anything Boston would do.”
‘The idea of Stephen is a top-five defensive player, and offensively his OPS is fourth among shortstops,” Boras said. “He provides a lot of player. Is very, very sure-handed. And wherever Stephen Drew goes he ends up in the playoffs. I think a large part of the Red Sox’ acumen and [GM Ben Cherington‘s] instinct for what makes a winning team is [shown] in the acquisition of Stephen Drew.’
The agent later added, ‘If you want to win and you want a middle of the diamond player ‘¦ a lot good teams need upgrades in the middle of the diamond so he’s got a very active and very large market.’
The Mets and Cardinals are two teams that are considered to have interest in Drew. The 31-year-old would cost any team (except the Red Sox) a draft pick if it was to sign the shortstop.
When asked if he was starting to set deadline for free agents to make up their minds, in order for the Red Sox to move forward, Cherington said Wednesday that the team hasn’t had to resort to such a tactic quite yet.
“We’re not at that point yet,” Cherington said. “If it does get to that point, we’ll communicate that. We’ve got to be working on other things at the same time, and we are. He’s got to go through what he needs to go through for his clients, and we get that. There will be time to talk in between. At some point, decisions have to be made and we’ll communicate that, but we’re not at that point yet.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins