Red Sox announce minor league deals for LHP Tommy Layne, utility man Mike McCoy
|11.15.13 at 7:08 pm ET|
McCoy, 32, has seen action in 170 big league games over the last four seasons, playing every position except first base and catcher, with most of his experience coming at shortstop and second base with the Rockie (2009) and Blue Jays (2010-12) . In 380 big league plate appearances, he’s hit .190 with a .273 OBP and .256 slugging mark. He spent all of 2013 with the Blue Jays’ Triple-A Buffalo affiliate, hitting .245/.357/.327 in 108 games. He would appear to provide the Red Sox with Triple-A glove-first utility depth at a number of positions.
Layne, 29, a 6-foot-2 left-hander, has a 2.84 ERA with 31 strikeouts and eight walks in 25 1/3 big league innings spanning 40 appearances in 2012 and 2013 with the Padres. Lefties have hit just .175 with a .299 OBP, .246 slugging mark, 20 strikeouts and five walks in 68 big laegue plate appearances against Layne.
Those big league numbers, however, are far more robust than his minor league track record. In seven minor league seasons, he has a 4.50 ERA with 6.1 strikeouts and 3.8 walks per nine innings. The 2013 season was his first as a full-time reliever, with Layne recording a 4.50 ERA with 8.0 strikeouts and 5.3 walks per nine but just one homer allowed for Triple-A Reno before working to a 2.08 ERA in 14 big league appearances; lefties hit .227/.348/.333 18 strikeouts in 94 plate appearances against Layne in Triple-A. He will join a significant number of left-handed relievers who are on the Sox’ 40-man roster (including Craig Breslow, Andrew Miller, Franklin Morales and Drake Britton) in spring training.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fort Report: Rankings, returns, & reporting to camp
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven