Red Sox announce minor league deals for LHP Tommy Layne, utility man Mike McCoy
|11.15.13 at 7:08 pm ET|
McCoy, 32, has seen action in 170 big league games over the last four seasons, playing every position except first base and catcher, with most of his experience coming at shortstop and second base with the Rockie (2009) and Blue Jays (2010-12) . In 380 big league plate appearances, he’s hit .190 with a .273 OBP and .256 slugging mark. He spent all of 2013 with the Blue Jays’ Triple-A Buffalo affiliate, hitting .245/.357/.327 in 108 games. He would appear to provide the Red Sox with Triple-A glove-first utility depth at a number of positions.
Layne, 29, a 6-foot-2 left-hander, has a 2.84 ERA with 31 strikeouts and eight walks in 25 1/3 big league innings spanning 40 appearances in 2012 and 2013 with the Padres. Lefties have hit just .175 with a .299 OBP, .246 slugging mark, 20 strikeouts and five walks in 68 big laegue plate appearances against Layne.
Those big league numbers, however, are far more robust than his minor league track record. In seven minor league seasons, he has a 4.50 ERA with 6.1 strikeouts and 3.8 walks per nine innings. The 2013 season was his first as a full-time reliever, with Layne recording a 4.50 ERA with 8.0 strikeouts and 5.3 walks per nine but just one homer allowed for Triple-A Reno before working to a 2.08 ERA in 14 big league appearances; lefties hit .227/.348/.333 18 strikeouts in 94 plate appearances against Layne in Triple-A. He will join a significant number of left-handed relievers who are on the Sox’ 40-man roster (including Craig Breslow, Andrew Miller, Franklin Morales and Drake Britton) in spring training.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Scouting Scratch: Luis Ysla, Victor Diaz and Gerson Bautista
- Weekly Notes: Big league season comes to an end
- The Write-Up: Logan Allen, Travis Lakins, William Cuevas and Yankory Pimentel
- Weekly Notes: Season end awards & front office changes
- SoxProspects.com 2015 season-end award winners
- Travis, Moncada highlight Red Sox minor league awards
- Podcast Ep. 86: Season in Review, Pt. 1
- Weekly Notes: Moncada to play winter ball in Puerto Rico
- 2015 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Weekly Notes: Front office moves, Fall Instructs rosters announced