Daniel Bard’s struggles continue while pitching in Puerto Rico
|11.17.13 at 11:08 pm ET|
The Daniel Bard saga has taken another turn for the worse.
Pitching for Criollos de Caguas in the Puerto Rican Winter League, the former Red Sox reliever has allowed seven earned runs on nine walks and four wild pitches, hitting three batters while not allowing a hit. In his three appearances, Bard has retired just one of his 13 batters.
According to MLB.com’s Carrie Muskat, Bard seemingly reached rock-bottom during Saturday’s outing. Starting the seventh inning, the righty walked his first two batters, threw a wild pitch and proceeded to walk another to load the bases. Two runs proceeded to come in on a pair of wild pitches, paving the way to two more walks and the end of the pitcher’s night.
Bard didn’t pitch for the Cubs after being claimed off waivers Sept. 4 following the Red Sox designating the reliever for assignment.
The 28-year-old pitched in 16 minor-league games in the Sox’ system in 2013, walking 27 in 15 1/3 innings. As late as August, he was still hoping to return to the majors to help the big-league team (as he told WEEI.com’s Rob Bradford).
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Xander Bogaerts' Wrist and Return
- Latest Updates on Joe Kelly's Injury
- Even Price Can't Stop Red Sox Rotation Giving Bad Feeling of Deja Vu
- Sandoval's Ex-Trainer Says He Has Eating Problem
- Ortiz Closing in on Top 25 in Career Home Runs
- Updates on Red Sox Star Pablo Sandoval's Injury
- Ortiz Looks Determined to Go out with a Bang
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi continues surge, Smith rehabs
- Cup of Coffee: E-Rod rehabs, Ball debuts, Benintendi big again
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi powers Salem past Frederick
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Kyri Washington rips pair of doubles in Greenville loss
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas, Swihart lead Pawtucket on a light night
- Michael Chavis placed on disabled list with torn thumb ligament (UPDATE: report rescinded)
- Weekly Notes: Light, Cuevas get first-time call-up
- Cup of Coffee: Lakins shoves, Drive bats come alive
- Red Sox recall Light and Owens for Sunday night tilt