Daniel Bard’s struggles continue while pitching in Puerto Rico
|11.17.13 at 11:08 pm ET|
The Daniel Bard saga has taken another turn for the worse.
Pitching for Criollos de Caguas in the Puerto Rican Winter League, the former Red Sox reliever has allowed seven earned runs on nine walks and four wild pitches, hitting three batters while not allowing a hit. In his three appearances, Bard has retired just one of his 13 batters.
According to MLB.com’s Carrie Muskat, Bard seemingly reached rock-bottom during Saturday’s outing. Starting the seventh inning, the righty walked his first two batters, threw a wild pitch and proceeded to walk another to load the bases. Two runs proceeded to come in on a pair of wild pitches, paving the way to two more walks and the end of the pitcher’s night.
Bard didn’t pitch for the Cubs after being claimed off waivers Sept. 4 following the Red Sox designating the reliever for assignment.
The 28-year-old pitched in 16 minor-league games in the Sox’ system in 2013, walking 27 in 15 1/3 innings. As late as August, he was still hoping to return to the majors to help the big-league team (as he told WEEI.com’s Rob Bradford).
Latest from Bleacher Report
- How Concerned Should Red Sox Be over Price's Roller-Coaster 2016?
- Latest Updates on Chris Young's Hamstring Injury
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- 2016 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!
- Jerez and Romanski selected to Eastern League All-Star Game
- Cup of Coffee: Castillo powers PawSox
- Chris Marrero, Sean O'Sullivan selected to Int'l League All-Star Team
- Scouting Scratch: Josh Pennington, Darwinzon Hernandez and Gerson Bautista
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi celebrates Futures Game selection with four-hit night
- Moncada and Benintendi named to Futures Game
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson strikes out eight to make his case
- Podcast Ep. #100: Your regularly scheduled June programming
- Red Sox promote Miller, option Cuevas