Daniel Bard’s struggles continue while pitching in Puerto Rico
|11.17.13 at 11:08 pm ET|
The Daniel Bard saga has taken another turn for the worse.
Pitching for Criollos de Caguas in the Puerto Rican Winter League, the former Red Sox reliever has allowed seven earned runs on nine walks and four wild pitches, hitting three batters while not allowing a hit. In his three appearances, Bard has retired just one of his 13 batters.
According to MLB.com’s Carrie Muskat, Bard seemingly reached rock-bottom during Saturday’s outing. Starting the seventh inning, the righty walked his first two batters, threw a wild pitch and proceeded to walk another to load the bases. Two runs proceeded to come in on a pair of wild pitches, paving the way to two more walks and the end of the pitcher’s night.
Bard didn’t pitch for the Cubs after being claimed off waivers Sept. 4 following the Red Sox designating the reliever for assignment.
The 28-year-old pitched in 16 minor-league games in the Sox’ system in 2013, walking 27 in 15 1/3 innings. As late as August, he was still hoping to return to the majors to help the big-league team (as he told WEEI.com’s Rob Bradford).
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system