Daniel Bard’s struggles continue while pitching in Puerto Rico
|11.17.13 at 11:08 pm ET|
The Daniel Bard saga has taken another turn for the worse.
Pitching for Criollos de Caguas in the Puerto Rican Winter League, the former Red Sox reliever has allowed seven earned runs on nine walks and four wild pitches, hitting three batters while not allowing a hit. In his three appearances, Bard has retired just one of his 13 batters.
According to MLB.com’s Carrie Muskat, Bard seemingly reached rock-bottom during Saturday’s outing. Starting the seventh inning, the righty walked his first two batters, threw a wild pitch and proceeded to walk another to load the bases. Two runs proceeded to come in on a pair of wild pitches, paving the way to two more walks and the end of the pitcher’s night.
Bard didn’t pitch for the Cubs after being claimed off waivers Sept. 4 following the Red Sox designating the reliever for assignment.
The 28-year-old pitched in 16 minor-league games in the Sox’ system in 2013, walking 27 in 15 1/3 innings. As late as August, he was still hoping to return to the majors to help the big-league team (as he told WEEI.com’s Rob Bradford).
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles