Rangers land Prince Fielder from Tigers for Ian Kinsler, cash
|11.20.13 at 11:33 pm ET|
Fielder, who has seven seasons left on the nine-year, $214 million deal he signed with the Tigers prior to the start of the 2012 season, is coming off one of the worst years of his career. The 29-year-old hit .279/.362/.457 with 25 homers, reaching career-lows in homers, slugging and OPS while posting the second-worst OBP of his career. He’s owed $168 million over the next seven seasons — meaning that with the $30 million subsidy from the Tigers, Texas will be on the hook for just under $20 million a year for him.
Kinsler, meanwhile, is guaranteed $62 million over the remaining four years of the five-year, $75 million deal he reached with Texas in 2012. The 31-year-old hit .277/.344/.413 with 13 homers and 15 steals (in 26 attempts) in 2013, posting — like Fielder — one of the worst years of his career. Moreover, Kinsler — a three-time All-Star — represented an impediment to the path of highly regarded 20-year-old prospect Jurickson Profar to an everyday role in the big leagues.
For the Red Sox, the primary significance of the trade may be in the notion that Texas now seemingly is out of the market for a first baseman. That, in turn, could remove one of Boston’s competitors for the services of Mike Napoli.
For more on the trade, click here.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system
- Podcast Ep. #105: MoncadainBoston