Rangers land Prince Fielder from Tigers for Ian Kinsler, cash
|11.20.13 at 11:33 pm ET|
Fielder, who has seven seasons left on the nine-year, $214 million deal he signed with the Tigers prior to the start of the 2012 season, is coming off one of the worst years of his career. The 29-year-old hit .279/.362/.457 with 25 homers, reaching career-lows in homers, slugging and OPS while posting the second-worst OBP of his career. He’s owed $168 million over the next seven seasons — meaning that with the $30 million subsidy from the Tigers, Texas will be on the hook for just under $20 million a year for him.
Kinsler, meanwhile, is guaranteed $62 million over the remaining four years of the five-year, $75 million deal he reached with Texas in 2012. The 31-year-old hit .277/.344/.413 with 13 homers and 15 steals (in 26 attempts) in 2013, posting — like Fielder — one of the worst years of his career. Moreover, Kinsler — a three-time All-Star — represented an impediment to the path of highly regarded 20-year-old prospect Jurickson Profar to an everyday role in the big leagues.
For the Red Sox, the primary significance of the trade may be in the notion that Texas now seemingly is out of the market for a first baseman. That, in turn, could remove one of Boston’s competitors for the services of Mike Napoli.
For more on the trade, click here.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles