Rangers land Prince Fielder from Tigers for Ian Kinsler, cash
|11.20.13 at 11:33 pm ET|
Fielder, who has seven seasons left on the nine-year, $214 million deal he signed with the Tigers prior to the start of the 2012 season, is coming off one of the worst years of his career. The 29-year-old hit .279/.362/.457 with 25 homers, reaching career-lows in homers, slugging and OPS while posting the second-worst OBP of his career. He’s owed $168 million over the next seven seasons — meaning that with the $30 million subsidy from the Tigers, Texas will be on the hook for just under $20 million a year for him.
Kinsler, meanwhile, is guaranteed $62 million over the remaining four years of the five-year, $75 million deal he reached with Texas in 2012. The 31-year-old hit .277/.344/.413 with 13 homers and 15 steals (in 26 attempts) in 2013, posting — like Fielder — one of the worst years of his career. Moreover, Kinsler — a three-time All-Star — represented an impediment to the path of highly regarded 20-year-old prospect Jurickson Profar to an everyday role in the big leagues.
For the Red Sox, the primary significance of the trade may be in the notion that Texas now seemingly is out of the market for a first baseman. That, in turn, could remove one of Boston’s competitors for the services of Mike Napoli.
For more on the trade, click here.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins