Brandon Snyder says he’s re-signed with Red Sox
|11.21.13 at 7:10 am ET|
Corner infielder Brandon Snyder, who played 27 games for the Red Sox — primarily at first and third, while also playing one game in left field — said on twitter that he has re-signed with the team that acquired him just before the start of the regular season in 2013.
So excited to have another year with the Boston redsox organization! Can’t wait to get down to ft Meyers and get after it!
— Brandon Snyder (@BrandonSnyder29) November 20, 2013
The 27-year-old hit .180 with a .212 OBP and .360 slugging mark and two homers, spending time in a semi-regular role in late-July and early-August, first while Stephen Drew was on the disabled list (permitting Jose Iglesias to move from third to short) and then after Iglesias was traded and prior to the recall of Will Middlebrooks from Triple-A. Snyder also played in 68 games with Pawtucket, hitting .261/.332/.454 with 10 homers.
The 2005 first-rounder was released at his request by the Rangers at the end of spring training and signed with the Sox to be a first baseman. However, he volunteered to add third base to his resume, and also took groundballs at second base. He also has catching experience (79 games in the minors, one in the big leagues) with a smattering of games at both corner outfield spots.
The deal is presumably a minor league one, since the Red Sox outrighted Snyder off their 40-man roster in early November (with Snyder electing free agency), only to re-sign him just over two weeks later.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Notes from the Field: Jason Groome debuts on Day Four
- Chatham using size to his advantage at shortstop
- Fort Report: Another round of cuts as Opening Day nears
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two