Red Sox acquire RHP Burke Badenhop from Brewers
|11.22.13 at 1:28 pm ET|
The Red Sox announced Friday that they traded minor league left-handed pitcher Luis Ortega to the Brewers for right-handed reliever Burke Badenhop.
Badenhop, 30, appeared in 63 games in 2013, going 2-3 with a 3.47 ERA. He ranked seventh among National League relievers in fewest walks per nine innings (1.7), allowing 12 walks all season.
Badenhop has played parts of six seasons in the majors, posting an 18-20 record with a 3.98 ERA in 280 games with the Marlins (2008-11), Rays (2012) and Brewers.
Ortega, 20, played for the Gulf Coast League Red Sox in rookie ball last season, going 3-3 with a 2.45 ERA in 12 games, including one start. In his two years of pro ball since being signed as an international free agent, Ortega is 9-6 with a 2.25 ERA.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- David Ortiz Discusses Retirement from Baseball, Time with Red Sox
- Jackie Bradley Jr. Is Now a Red Sox Star
- Big Papi Cementing His Legend with a Bang
- Ortiz Passes Banks, Mathews for 22nd Place on MLB's HR List
- Red Sox's High-Octane Offense Fueling Rise Back to Prominence
- Red Sox Score Double-Digit Runs for 4th Consecutive Game
- Red Sox 1st Team Since 1999 to Score 13+ Runs in 3 Straight
- Cup of Coffee: Rodriguez fires seven strong innings in rehab start
- Cup of Coffee: Raudes strikes out eight over six scoreless frames
- Weekly Notes: Rodriguez to start tomorrow for Pawtucket
- Cup of Coffee: Ball shines again for Salem
- The Write-Up: Eduardo Rodriguez
- Cup of Coffee: Kemp homers twice, Light hits 101
- Cup of Coffee: Moore comes through in the clutch for Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada wins it in extras
- Cup of Coffee: Elias's career night powers Pawtucket
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi drives in two to boost Couch, Sea Dogs