Red Sox acquire RHP Burke Badenhop from Brewers
|11.22.13 at 1:28 pm ET|
The Red Sox announced Friday that they traded minor league left-handed pitcher Luis Ortega to the Brewers for right-handed reliever Burke Badenhop.
Badenhop, 30, appeared in 63 games in 2013, going 2-3 with a 3.47 ERA. He ranked seventh among National League relievers in fewest walks per nine innings (1.7), allowing 12 walks all season.
Badenhop has played parts of six seasons in the majors, posting an 18-20 record with a 3.98 ERA in 280 games with the Marlins (2008-11), Rays (2012) and Brewers.
Ortega, 20, played for the Gulf Coast League Red Sox in rookie ball last season, going 3-3 with a 2.45 ERA in 12 games, including one start. In his two years of pro ball since being signed as an international free agent, Ortega is 9-6 with a 2.25 ERA.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016
- December Notes: Sox deal key prospects for Sale, Thornburg
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rodriguez tweaks knee, Castillo rakes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramirez debuts, Vazquez homers
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Abad debuts, Hernandez goes deep again
- Scouting Updates: Mata leads group of DSL player page updates
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Eduardo Rodriguez debuts in Venezuela