Rafael Furcal says Red Sox among teams interested in him
|11.30.13 at 6:56 pm ET|
Free agent shortstop Rafael Furcal, who missed all of 2013 while recovering from Tommy John surgery, told ESPNDeportes.com that the Red Sox are one of several teams with whom he is talking about a potential deal. He suggested the Sox, Mets, Marlins, Nationals, Pirates and Rockies were among the teams to demonstrate interest in him.
The 36-year-old, who hit .264 with a .325 OBP and .346 slugging mark along with 12 steals in 121 games for the Cardinals in 2012, told the website that he wants to play for a contender that can maximize his playing time. While he has only played shortstop and second base in his career, Furcal said in the interview that he would be open to playing other positions as well.
Red Sox GM Ben Cherington said last week that the Sox are looking to increase their depth on the left side of the infield. Presumably, that would mean either re-signing Stephen Drew to be the everyday shortstop or signing a veteran such as Furcal as someone capable of providing protection at a number of infield positions.
Furcal, a veteran of 13 seasons, is a career .281/.346/.403 hitter with 314 career steals. The 2000 National League Rookie of the Year is a three-time All-Star, having participated in the showcase in 2003, 2010 and 2012. He said that he is about to start a throwing program, and will steadily increase his workload while working towards a healthy return in spring training.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Shaw Becoming Star After Being Thrown in Spotlight by Sandoval Benching
- Ortiz, Red Sox Look Headed for 1 More Exciting Run
- Updates on Xander Bogaerts' Wrist and Return
- Latest Updates on Joe Kelly's Injury
- Even Price Can't Stop Red Sox Rotation Giving Bad Feeling of Deja Vu
- Sandoval's Ex-Trainer Says He Has Eating Problem
- Ortiz Closing in on Top 25 in Career Home Runs
- Cup of Coffee: Chris Marrero powers PawSox past IronPigs
- April Players of the Month: Andrew Benintendi and Teddy Stankiewicz
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada hits grand slam to lead Salem sweep
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Nick Longhi
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas and Maxwell lead the PawSox
- Podcast Ep. 95: One month in, start it up again
- Weekly Notes: Rodriguez, Smith begin rehab assignments
- Cup of Coffee: Rijo breaks out, rain washes Salem and Greenville
- Cup of Coffee: Haley, Lakins continue strong starts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi continues surge, Smith rehabs