Rafael Furcal says Red Sox among teams interested in him
|11.30.13 at 6:56 pm ET|
Free agent shortstop Rafael Furcal, who missed all of 2013 while recovering from Tommy John surgery, told ESPNDeportes.com that the Red Sox are one of several teams with whom he is talking about a potential deal. He suggested the Sox, Mets, Marlins, Nationals, Pirates and Rockies were among the teams to demonstrate interest in him.
The 36-year-old, who hit .264 with a .325 OBP and .346 slugging mark along with 12 steals in 121 games for the Cardinals in 2012, told the website that he wants to play for a contender that can maximize his playing time. While he has only played shortstop and second base in his career, Furcal said in the interview that he would be open to playing other positions as well.
Red Sox GM Ben Cherington said last week that the Sox are looking to increase their depth on the left side of the infield. Presumably, that would mean either re-signing Stephen Drew to be the everyday shortstop or signing a veteran such as Furcal as someone capable of providing protection at a number of infield positions.
Furcal, a veteran of 13 seasons, is a career .281/.346/.403 hitter with 314 career steals. The 2000 National League Rookie of the Year is a three-time All-Star, having participated in the showcase in 2003, 2010 and 2012. He said that he is about to start a throwing program, and will steadily increase his workload while working towards a healthy return in spring training.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Scouting Scratch: Yoan Moncada
- Owens reassigned to minors in latest roster cuts; Boggs released
- The Write-Up: More reports from Fort Myers
- Karsten Whitson close to his old self in Red Sox system
- 2015 Spring Training Reports
- With injury behind him, Longhi honing selective approach this spring
- Podcast Ep. 71: Spring Training Reports!
- Scouting Scratch: Trey Ball
- Fort Report: SoxProspects crew arrives in Fort Myers
- The Write-Up: More from the Fort