Red Sox haven’t set deadlines, but are getting ready to move forward
|11.30.13 at 12:57 pm ET|
According to a major league source, the Red Sox haven’t set a deadline for any of their unsigned free agents to accept the club’s offers, but are “certainly working on other options, also.”
Another source has confirmed that the Red Sox have told at least one of the free agents whom they have offered a contract to that the team is nearing a point where they hope to decide between alternatives.
The Red Sox have already expressed interest in bringing back free agents Stephen Drew, Mike Napoli and Jacoby Ellsbury — first by extending qualifying offers, before circling back with alternative contract offers after the one-year, $14.1 million deals were rejected –along with Jarrod Saltalamacchia. (While the catcher wasn’t offered a qualifying offer the Sox have extended a two-year deal at a lower annual average.)
The winter meetings, which will be held in Orlando from Dec. 9-12, have served as the launching point for some of the Red Sox biggest offseason moves in two of the last three years.
The Sox traded for Adrian Gonzalez the night before the winter meetings in 2010, before signing free agent Carl Crawford three days later. And last year, Napoli’s original three-year agreement was finalized the first morning of the meetings, with Shane Victorino coming to terms a day later.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday
- Kukuk arrested, charged with aggravated robbery
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Allen Webster
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Brandon Workman
- Alex Hassan claimed off waivers by Oakland
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: AFL winds down, Vazquez makes debut
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Jackie Bradley, Jr.