Red Sox haven’t set deadlines, but are getting ready to move forward
|11.30.13 at 12:57 pm ET|
According to a major league source, the Red Sox haven’t set a deadline for any of their unsigned free agents to accept the club’s offers, but are “certainly working on other options, also.”
Another source has confirmed that the Red Sox have told at least one of the free agents whom they have offered a contract to that the team is nearing a point where they hope to decide between alternatives.
The Red Sox have already expressed interest in bringing back free agents Stephen Drew, Mike Napoli and Jacoby Ellsbury — first by extending qualifying offers, before circling back with alternative contract offers after the one-year, $14.1 million deals were rejected –along with Jarrod Saltalamacchia. (While the catcher wasn’t offered a qualifying offer the Sox have extended a two-year deal at a lower annual average.)
The winter meetings, which will be held in Orlando from Dec. 9-12, have served as the launching point for some of the Red Sox biggest offseason moves in two of the last three years.
The Sox traded for Adrian Gonzalez the night before the winter meetings in 2010, before signing free agent Carl Crawford three days later. And last year, Napoli’s original three-year agreement was finalized the first morning of the meetings, with Shane Victorino coming to terms a day later.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies