Red Sox agree to terms with reliever Edward Mujica
|12.05.13 at 12:06 pm ET|
According to a major league source, the Red Sox have agreed to terms with relief pitcher Edward Mujica for what Yahoo! Sports is reporting is a two-year, $9.5 million deal. The completion of the deal is pending a physical.
Mujica has the capability to pitch in a late-inning role, having served as the Cardinals’ closer for much of the 2013 season before losing the job to Trevor Rosenthal. The 29-year-old did battle second-half injuries, dealing with a groin injury.
“My groin was bothering me, but I was trying to keep going, trying to help the team win. But you know, it [didn’t] happen,” he told reporters during the World Series.
The righty had turned in stellar first half for the Cardinals in ’13, making the National League All-Star team. During that stretch he limited batters to a .188 batting average, striking out 25 and walking just one in collecting 26 saves.
Mujica is known as one of the premier strike-throwers in the game, having walked just 68 batters in 439 1/3 career innings.
This will be Mujica’s fifth organization.
Yahoo! Sports was first to report the agreement.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fort Report: Spring training games begin
- Fort Report: Rankings, returns, & reporting to camp
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals