Red Sox agree to terms with reliever Edward Mujica
|12.05.13 at 12:06 pm ET|
According to a major league source, the Red Sox have agreed to terms with relief pitcher Edward Mujica for what Yahoo! Sports is reporting is a two-year, $9.5 million deal. The completion of the deal is pending a physical.
Mujica has the capability to pitch in a late-inning role, having served as the Cardinals’ closer for much of the 2013 season before losing the job to Trevor Rosenthal. The 29-year-old did battle second-half injuries, dealing with a groin injury.
“My groin was bothering me, but I was trying to keep going, trying to help the team win. But you know, it [didn’t] happen,” he told reporters during the World Series.
The righty had turned in stellar first half for the Cardinals in ’13, making the National League All-Star team. During that stretch he limited batters to a .188 batting average, striking out 25 and walking just one in collecting 26 saves.
Mujica is known as one of the premier strike-throwers in the game, having walked just 68 batters in 439 1/3 career innings.
This will be Mujica’s fifth organization.
Yahoo! Sports was first to report the agreement.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- David Ortiz Discusses Retirement from Baseball, Time with Red Sox
- Jackie Bradley Jr. Is Now a Red Sox Star
- Big Papi Cementing His Legend with a Bang
- Ortiz Passes Banks, Mathews for 22nd Place on MLB's HR List
- Red Sox's High-Octane Offense Fueling Rise Back to Prominence
- Red Sox Score Double-Digit Runs for 4th Consecutive Game
- Red Sox 1st Team Since 1999 to Score 13+ Runs in 3 Straight
- Cup of Coffee: Raudes strikes out eight over six scoreless frames
- Weekly Notes: Rodriguez to start tomorrow for Pawtucket
- Cup of Coffee: Ball shines again for Salem
- The Write-Up: Eduardo Rodriguez
- Cup of Coffee: Kemp homers twice, Light hits 101
- Cup of Coffee: Moore comes through in the clutch for Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada wins it in extras
- Cup of Coffee: Elias's career night powers Pawtucket
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi drives in two to boost Couch, Sea Dogs
- Cup of Coffee: Kelly eyes return to Boston with 10 strikeouts