Red Sox agree to terms with reliever Edward Mujica
|12.05.13 at 12:06 pm ET|
According to a major league source, the Red Sox have agreed to terms with relief pitcher Edward Mujica for what Yahoo! Sports is reporting is a two-year, $9.5 million deal. The completion of the deal is pending a physical.
Mujica has the capability to pitch in a late-inning role, having served as the Cardinals’ closer for much of the 2013 season before losing the job to Trevor Rosenthal. The 29-year-old did battle second-half injuries, dealing with a groin injury.
“My groin was bothering me, but I was trying to keep going, trying to help the team win. But you know, it [didn’t] happen,” he told reporters during the World Series.
The righty had turned in stellar first half for the Cardinals in ’13, making the National League All-Star team. During that stretch he limited batters to a .188 batting average, striking out 25 and walking just one in collecting 26 saves.
Mujica is known as one of the premier strike-throwers in the game, having walked just 68 batters in 439 1/3 career innings.
This will be Mujica’s fifth organization.
Yahoo! Sports was first to report the agreement.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Shaw Becoming Star After Being Thrown in Spotlight by Sandoval Benching
- Ortiz, Red Sox Look Headed for 1 More Exciting Run
- Updates on Xander Bogaerts' Wrist and Return
- Latest Updates on Joe Kelly's Injury
- Even Price Can't Stop Red Sox Rotation Giving Bad Feeling of Deja Vu
- Sandoval's Ex-Trainer Says He Has Eating Problem
- Ortiz Closing in on Top 25 in Career Home Runs
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Nick Longhi
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas and Maxwell lead the PawSox
- Podcast Ep. 95: One month in, start it up again
- Weekly Notes: Rodriguez, Smith begin rehab assignments
- Cup of Coffee: Rijo breaks out, rain washes Salem and Greenville
- Cup of Coffee: Haley, Lakins continue strong starts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi continues surge, Smith rehabs
- Cup of Coffee: E-Rod rehabs, Ball debuts, Benintendi big again
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi powers Salem past Frederick
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Michael Chavis