David Ortiz on Robinson Cano leaving the Yankees: ‘That’s great news for us’
|12.06.13 at 6:39 pm ET|
David Ortiz said that he wasn’t shocked to hear of the 10-year, $240 million agreement between Robinson Cano and the Mariners. Instead, his surprise came at the idea that the pillar in the middle of the Yankees‘ lineup was allowed to leave New York.
“That’s what the players are getting — young, talented players with the skills that he has, that’s what they’re getting. I couldn’t believe the Yankees let that walk away,” Ortiz said on the Bradford Files podcast. “He’s the face, as long as he played for the Yankees, he was the face of that ballclub. He was backing up everybody. Once I saw them not getting close to what he wants and signing [catcher Brian McCann] and [Jacoby Ellsbury], I definitely knew that he was going to go somewhere else.
“That’s great news for us. That’s great news,” Ortiz added. “This guy hurt us. He is the guy that, you’re never going to forget about him because he puts up some monster numbers. He puts up some monster numbers. Now let’s see how everything goes with him on the West Coast.”
Ortiz had nothing but praise for Cano.
“Well-deserved. Well-deserved. I’m telling you, I knew he was going to get something around that because he’s one of the best players in the game right now and that’s where the best players are at,” said Ortiz. “The way he makes the game look, it’s ridiculous. It’s just impossible. He makes the game look so easy. … Now, we’re not going to be able to see him that much, thank God. He’s going to the West Coast. Wishing him the best. He’s a good friend of mine, and like I said, well deserved.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system
- Podcast Ep. #105: MoncadainBoston
- Cup of Coffee: Devers helps keep Salem alive, Lowell eliminated
- Scouting Scratch: Jason Groome