David Ortiz on Robinson Cano leaving the Yankees: ‘That’s great news for us’
|12.06.13 at 6:39 pm ET|
David Ortiz said that he wasn’t shocked to hear of the 10-year, $240 million agreement between Robinson Cano and the Mariners. Instead, his surprise came at the idea that the pillar in the middle of the Yankees‘ lineup was allowed to leave New York.
“That’s what the players are getting — young, talented players with the skills that he has, that’s what they’re getting. I couldn’t believe the Yankees let that walk away,” Ortiz said on the Bradford Files podcast. “He’s the face, as long as he played for the Yankees, he was the face of that ballclub. He was backing up everybody. Once I saw them not getting close to what he wants and signing [catcher Brian McCann] and [Jacoby Ellsbury], I definitely knew that he was going to go somewhere else.
“That’s great news for us. That’s great news,” Ortiz added. “This guy hurt us. He is the guy that, you’re never going to forget about him because he puts up some monster numbers. He puts up some monster numbers. Now let’s see how everything goes with him on the West Coast.”
Ortiz had nothing but praise for Cano.
“Well-deserved. Well-deserved. I’m telling you, I knew he was going to get something around that because he’s one of the best players in the game right now and that’s where the best players are at,” said Ortiz. “The way he makes the game look, it’s ridiculous. It’s just impossible. He makes the game look so easy. … Now, we’re not going to be able to see him that much, thank God. He’s going to the West Coast. Wishing him the best. He’s a good friend of mine, and like I said, well deserved.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Perez leads GCL Sox to walk-off win in finals opener
- Weekly Notes: Greenville makes playoff push, GCL Sox reach finals
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza, De Jesus pitch Sox into GCL finals
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi powers Greenville to victory
- Cup of Coffee: Callahan helps move Greenville into wild card lead
- Podcast Ep. 84: Mailbag extravaganza!
- Cup of Coffee: Longhi, Watkins power Greenville playoff push
- Cup of Coffee: Drive step closer to playoffs behind Drehoff, Moncada
- Cup of Coffee: Season comes to an end for DSL Red Sox
- Cup of Coffee: DSL Sox drop playoff opener; Espinoza dominates