Red Sox right-hander Edward Mujica takes physical; could earn up to $1 million in bonuses for closing
|12.07.13 at 12:25 am ET|
According to industry sources, right-hander Edward Mujica, with whom the Red Sox agreed to a two-year, $9.5 million deal on Thursday, took his physical on Friday and is expected to be introduced by his new team in the coming days. Mujica — who was an All-Star closer with the Cardinals in 2013, recording 37 saves before a late-season slump (which coincided with a groin issue) resulted in his into a setup role, has incentives built into his contract that would reward him should he emerge as the Red Sox’ closer in either 2014 or 2015.
Mujica will earn $125,000 for reaching 20 games finished and for every five games thereafter up to 55 games (25, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50, 55), meaning that if he closes for the Sox — whether in place of Koji Uehara (should the dominant closer suffer an injury in 2014) or succeeding him (Uehara is under contract only through next season) — he would stand to receive up to $1 million in bonuses.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- The Write-Up: Matt Barnes, Brian Johnson, Keith Couch
- Cup of Coffee: Bradley, Berry support Johnson in PawSox win
- Cup of Coffee: Moore, Miller provide heroics as Drive win in 14
- Cup of Coffee: Rodriguez tosses complete game, Kopech stymies Asheville
- Cup of Coffee: McCarthy pitches Portland past Thunder
- Cup of Coffee: Gunkel perfect in relief, Miller walks off for Greenville
- Cup of Coffee: Dahlstrand cruises again in Salem's win
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson tosses complete game shutout
- Cup of Coffee: Chavis homers in 10th inning to lead Drive
- Weekly Notes: Blake Swihart's hot start; Rusney Castillo on the mend