Red Sox right-hander Edward Mujica takes physical; could earn up to $1 million in bonuses for closing
|12.07.13 at 12:25 am ET|
According to industry sources, right-hander Edward Mujica, with whom the Red Sox agreed to a two-year, $9.5 million deal on Thursday, took his physical on Friday and is expected to be introduced by his new team in the coming days. Mujica — who was an All-Star closer with the Cardinals in 2013, recording 37 saves before a late-season slump (which coincided with a groin issue) resulted in his into a setup role, has incentives built into his contract that would reward him should he emerge as the Red Sox’ closer in either 2014 or 2015.
Mujica will earn $125,000 for reaching 20 games finished and for every five games thereafter up to 55 games (25, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50, 55), meaning that if he closes for the Sox — whether in place of Koji Uehara (should the dominant closer suffer an injury in 2014) or succeeding him (Uehara is under contract only through next season) — he would stand to receive up to $1 million in bonuses.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Betts Has Real Chance of Crashing AL MVP Party
- MLB Betting Preview: Red Sox vs. Orioles Odds, Analysis
- David Ortiz Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Foot
- Can Benintendi Be Pennant Race Difference-Maker?
- Updates on Red Sox Star Hanley Ramirez's Injury
- Andrew Benintendi Recalled from Double-a
- Fernando Abad to Red Sox
- Cup of Coffee: LaMarre powers Pawtucket, Kopech whiffs 10
- After draft slide, Shawaryn regaining peak form in Lowell
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada shows off power and defense as he eyes the big leagues
- 2014 First-rounder Michael Chavis promoted to High A Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Jason Groome era begins with two scoreless innings
- Weekly Notes: Groome debuts, Kopech and Dalbec stay hot
- Cup of Coffee: Salem wins 10th straight, Hill, Tubbs carry Lowell
- Podcast Ep. #104: BeninBoston
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Luis Alexander Basabe
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits in Portland's slugfest