Red Sox right-hander Edward Mujica takes physical; could earn up to $1 million in bonuses for closing
|12.07.13 at 12:25 am ET|
According to industry sources, right-hander Edward Mujica, with whom the Red Sox agreed to a two-year, $9.5 million deal on Thursday, took his physical on Friday and is expected to be introduced by his new team in the coming days. Mujica — who was an All-Star closer with the Cardinals in 2013, recording 37 saves before a late-season slump (which coincided with a groin issue) resulted in his into a setup role, has incentives built into his contract that would reward him should he emerge as the Red Sox’ closer in either 2014 or 2015.
Mujica will earn $125,000 for reaching 20 games finished and for every five games thereafter up to 55 games (25, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50, 55), meaning that if he closes for the Sox — whether in place of Koji Uehara (should the dominant closer suffer an injury in 2014) or succeeding him (Uehara is under contract only through next season) — he would stand to receive up to $1 million in bonuses.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday
- Kukuk arrested, charged with aggravated robbery
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Allen Webster
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Brandon Workman
- Alex Hassan claimed off waivers by Oakland
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: AFL winds down, Vazquez makes debut
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Jackie Bradley, Jr.
- Red Sox name Mike Rikard Director of Amateur Scouting
- Top 40 in Review: Blake Swihart