Ben Cherington on dealing starters: ‘We’re very comfortable not doing anything’
|12.09.13 at 7:02 pm ET|
ORLANDO — Even with six starters — Jon Lester, Jake Peavy, Ryan Dempster, Clay Buchholz, Felix Doubront and John Lackey — on their roster, Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington said he is no rush to trade any of them.
“We’re very comfortable not doing anything,” Cherington said when asked about the surplus. “We’re very comfortable just holding everyone. We all know that starting pitching, a supposed surplus has a way of working itself out usually. We’re very comfortable not doing anything. If the movement with free agents or trades or whatever creates motivation on some teams’ part, or when that leads to something that makes sense for us, then we’ll certainly listen and consider it.”
Cherington noted that some of the teams which initially inquired about some of the Sox starters have filled their holes with free agents. Yet, there is still interest in the Red Sox hurlers, according to the GM.
“I wouldn’t say it’s changed much since the beginning of the offseason,” he said. “That doesn’t mean we’re close to doing anything; we’re not. We’re still hearing from teams.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Red Sox Outfielder Chris Young Injury's
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- Can Red Sox Make Real Run at 1,000 Runs in 2016?
- Cup of Coffee: GCL opens season, Washington, Moncada mash
- Scouting Scratch: Kevin Steen, Enmanuel De Jesus and more Lowell pitchers
- Cup of Coffee: Beeks, Dubon debut at Double-A, Lowell wins again
- Sources: Mauricio Dubon promoted to Portland
- Scouting Scratch: Michael Kopech
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada stays hot in Portland; Lowell improves to 6-0
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada makes Double-A debut; Owens dominates for PawSox
- Cup of Coffee: Holt doubles twice in first rehab appearance
- Weekly Notes: Moncada promoted, Kopech debuts, and Salem claims Southern Division first-half title
- Cup of Coffee: Affiliates sweep, Moncada homers before promotion