Ben Cherington on dealing starters: ‘We’re very comfortable not doing anything’
|12.09.13 at 7:02 pm ET|
ORLANDO — Even with six starters — Jon Lester, Jake Peavy, Ryan Dempster, Clay Buchholz, Felix Doubront and John Lackey — on their roster, Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington said he is no rush to trade any of them.
“We’re very comfortable not doing anything,” Cherington said when asked about the surplus. “We’re very comfortable just holding everyone. We all know that starting pitching, a supposed surplus has a way of working itself out usually. We’re very comfortable not doing anything. If the movement with free agents or trades or whatever creates motivation on some teams’ part, or when that leads to something that makes sense for us, then we’ll certainly listen and consider it.”
Cherington noted that some of the teams which initially inquired about some of the Sox starters have filled their holes with free agents. Yet, there is still interest in the Red Sox hurlers, according to the GM.
“I wouldn’t say it’s changed much since the beginning of the offseason,” he said. “That doesn’t mean we’re close to doing anything; we’re not. We’re still hearing from teams.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system
- Podcast Ep. #105: MoncadainBoston