Ben Cherington on dealing starters: ‘We’re very comfortable not doing anything’
|12.09.13 at 7:02 pm ET|
ORLANDO — Even with six starters — Jon Lester, Jake Peavy, Ryan Dempster, Clay Buchholz, Felix Doubront and John Lackey — on their roster, Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington said he is no rush to trade any of them.
“We’re very comfortable not doing anything,” Cherington said when asked about the surplus. “We’re very comfortable just holding everyone. We all know that starting pitching, a supposed surplus has a way of working itself out usually. We’re very comfortable not doing anything. If the movement with free agents or trades or whatever creates motivation on some teams’ part, or when that leads to something that makes sense for us, then we’ll certainly listen and consider it.”
Cherington noted that some of the teams which initially inquired about some of the Sox starters have filled their holes with free agents. Yet, there is still interest in the Red Sox hurlers, according to the GM.
“I wouldn’t say it’s changed much since the beginning of the offseason,” he said. “That doesn’t mean we’re close to doing anything; we’re not. We’re still hearing from teams.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Perth heads to the playoffs
- Rookie Dev Program notes: Ramos healthy, Swihart looks back
- Mookie Betts is prepared for whatever 2015 may bring
- Brian Johnson prepared to follow up stellar 2014 campaign
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Weeks helps Mayaguez advance to finals
- Rookie Development Program easing transition for young players
- Offseason Notes: Veterans Bianchi, Boggs highlight minor league signings
- Red Sox acquire Danny Rosenbaum from Nationals for Dan Butler
- Red Sox announce front office moves
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Playoffs begin, Marban pitches well in Australia