Ben Cherington still can’t ‘handicap’ chances of Stephen Drew returning
|12.09.13 at 6:50 pm ET|
ORLANDO — Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington wouldn’t “handicap” the chances of Stephen Drew returning to the team at the winter meetings Monday, but he did note that whatever solution the Sox get to fill out the left side of their infield will have to have the capability to play shortstop.
“We need two guys on the team that can play short no matter what the names are,” Cherington said. “The roster needs two guys that can play short. So obviously, [Xander] Bogaerts has a chance to be a part of the team and he can play short. One way or another we have to add to that. Brock Holt is a candidate for that and he’s done a good job for us. Obviously someone we still think highly of. But we may look to add somebody on that side of the field and more than likely that someone would have the ability to play short, at least in some role.”
As was reported by WEEI.com earlier Monday, the Red Sox are waiting out to see what kind of market Drew might get before looping back in with the shortstop.
“He’s someone that ‘ we obviously like him,” Cherington said of Drew. “He’s a good player and did a really good job for us. If there’s a way to make it work, we’ll see if we can do that, but I can’t handicap it right now.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Betts Has Real Chance of Crashing AL MVP Party
- MLB Betting Preview: Red Sox vs. Orioles Odds, Analysis
- David Ortiz Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Foot
- Can Benintendi Be Pennant Race Difference-Maker?
- Updates on Red Sox Star Hanley Ramirez's Injury
- Andrew Benintendi Recalled from Double-a
- Fernando Abad to Red Sox
- Scouting Scratch: Mike Shawaryn and Shaun Anderson
- Cup of Coffee: LaMarre powers Pawtucket, Kopech whiffs 10
- After draft slide, Shawaryn regaining peak form in Lowell
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada shows off power and defense as he eyes the big leagues
- 2014 First-rounder Michael Chavis promoted to High A Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Jason Groome era begins with two scoreless innings
- Weekly Notes: Groome debuts, Kopech and Dalbec stay hot
- Cup of Coffee: Salem wins 10th straight, Hill, Tubbs carry Lowell
- Podcast Ep. #104: BeninBoston
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Luis Alexander Basabe