Ben Cherington still can’t ‘handicap’ chances of Stephen Drew returning
|12.09.13 at 6:50 pm ET|
ORLANDO — Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington wouldn’t “handicap” the chances of Stephen Drew returning to the team at the winter meetings Monday, but he did note that whatever solution the Sox get to fill out the left side of their infield will have to have the capability to play shortstop.
“We need two guys on the team that can play short no matter what the names are,” Cherington said. “The roster needs two guys that can play short. So obviously, [Xander] Bogaerts has a chance to be a part of the team and he can play short. One way or another we have to add to that. Brock Holt is a candidate for that and he’s done a good job for us. Obviously someone we still think highly of. But we may look to add somebody on that side of the field and more than likely that someone would have the ability to play short, at least in some role.”
As was reported by WEEI.com earlier Monday, the Red Sox are waiting out to see what kind of market Drew might get before looping back in with the shortstop.
“He’s someone that ‘ we obviously like him,” Cherington said of Drew. “He’s a good player and did a really good job for us. If there’s a way to make it work, we’ll see if we can do that, but I can’t handicap it right now.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Cup of Coffee: Chatham comes up clutch, Downs lifts Lowell
- Scouting Scratch: Henry Owens
- Cup of Coffee: Chris Marrero, pitching help PawSox clip Red Wings
- Cup of Coffee: Sermo homers three times; Basabe keeps streaking
- Scouting Scratch: Luis Alexander Basabe and Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Procyshen homers, Benintendi triples in victories
- Podcast Ep. #103: Yes Devers loves me, the homers tell me so
- Weekly notes: Benintendi moves to left field
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits, Kemp blasts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and Devers homer, Dalbec debuts