Sources: Red Sox intent on waiting out Stephen Drew market
|12.09.13 at 9:39 am ET|
ORLANDO — According to multiple major league sources, the Red Sox are planning to wait out to see what type of market develops for Stephen Drew before looping back in with their definitive offer for the shortstop.
There is some thought throughout baseball that Drew’s market might be limited due to the fact that any team — other than the Red Sox — signing the 31-year-old would be required to surrender a draft pick.
Speaking on Salk and Holley last week (listen to audio here), Red Sox manager John Farrell said, “[GM Ben Cherington] is doing the best he can with the two remaining guys, with [Mike Napoli] and [Drew], we’re going to do anything we can to bring both guys back.’ (Napoli has since agreed to a two-year, $36 million deal with the Red Sox.)
Cherington acknowledged on conference call Saturday that the team still has interest in Drew, but is also ready to explore other avenues if need-be.
‘We’ve had off and on dialogue, nothing too recent, but certainly leaving he door open still,’ Cherington said of Drew. ‘We’ll leave the door open still. We feel pretty good about our alternative at shortstop but we’ll see what happens the rest of the way. We’re still exploring different things, different ways to potentially improve the team. I think we’ve probably shifted more toward ‘ assuming we get a deal done with the first baseman [Napoli] ‘ we’ve probably shifted more toward opportunistic this offseason maybe. And sort of looking at different scenarios, different ideas, and maybe nothing comes of those because we feel pretty good about where we are right now.’
Check back for more coverage from the winter meetings, with Salk and Holley broadcasting live from the Swan and Dolphin Hotel and Resort Monday from 2-6 p.m. on WEEI.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies