Sources: Red Sox intent on waiting out Stephen Drew market
|12.09.13 at 9:39 am ET|
ORLANDO — According to multiple major league sources, the Red Sox are planning to wait out to see what type of market develops for Stephen Drew before looping back in with their definitive offer for the shortstop.
There is some thought throughout baseball that Drew’s market might be limited due to the fact that any team — other than the Red Sox — signing the 31-year-old would be required to surrender a draft pick.
Speaking on Salk and Holley last week (listen to audio here), Red Sox manager John Farrell said, “[GM Ben Cherington] is doing the best he can with the two remaining guys, with [Mike Napoli] and [Drew], we’re going to do anything we can to bring both guys back.’ (Napoli has since agreed to a two-year, $36 million deal with the Red Sox.)
Cherington acknowledged on conference call Saturday that the team still has interest in Drew, but is also ready to explore other avenues if need-be.
‘We’ve had off and on dialogue, nothing too recent, but certainly leaving he door open still,’ Cherington said of Drew. ‘We’ll leave the door open still. We feel pretty good about our alternative at shortstop but we’ll see what happens the rest of the way. We’re still exploring different things, different ways to potentially improve the team. I think we’ve probably shifted more toward ‘ assuming we get a deal done with the first baseman [Napoli] ‘ we’ve probably shifted more toward opportunistic this offseason maybe. And sort of looking at different scenarios, different ideas, and maybe nothing comes of those because we feel pretty good about where we are right now.’
Check back for more coverage from the winter meetings, with Salk and Holley broadcasting live from the Swan and Dolphin Hotel and Resort Monday from 2-6 p.m. on WEEI.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Garin Cecchini and Yoan Aybar
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Kevin McAvoy and Bryce Brentz
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Travis leads way as Scottsdale wins AFL title
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Travis Lakins and Jalen Beeks
- Light, Jerez, and Hernandez added to 40-man roster
- Light, Hernandez top list of potential Friday roster additions
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Christopher Acosta and Ben Taylor
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Austin Glorius and Jordan Procyshen
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Travis blasts walk-off home run
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Chandler Shepherd and Kyle Martin