Newest Met Curtis Granderson explains Red Sox’ interest in him
|12.10.13 at 2:19 pm ET|
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. — Curtis Granderson is a New York Met. That was made perfectly clear Tuesday when the outfielder was introduced to the media at the Dolphin Hotel and Resort.
But, according to Granderson, there was at least a chance he could have become a member of the Red Sox.
“We did, early on, right after they ended up winning the World Series ironically. You’d think they’d celebrate for a little bit,” said Granderson when asked if the Red Sox had expressed interest in the 32-year-old. “There were some initial talks right there. Then as soon as Ellsbury ended up signing, there were more. They decided they wanted to go with Jackie Bradley, who’s obviously a great individual and is going to go out there and do some great things for them. They had some other moves they wanted to go ahead and take care of first.”
Granderson ended up signing a four-year, $60 million deal with New York.
Later Tuesday, Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington clarified his team’s interest in the outfielder.
“We contact a lot of free agents. There are probably we don’t contact than we do contact,” he said. “Because it’s important at the very least you’re exchanging information, it gives you a sense of how the market is shaping. We liked him. We like him as a player. But I wouldn’t say we were ever that close on it.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles