Newest Met Curtis Granderson explains Red Sox’ interest in him
|12.10.13 at 2:19 pm ET|
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. — Curtis Granderson is a New York Met. That was made perfectly clear Tuesday when the outfielder was introduced to the media at the Dolphin Hotel and Resort.
But, according to Granderson, there was at least a chance he could have become a member of the Red Sox.
“We did, early on, right after they ended up winning the World Series ironically. You’d think they’d celebrate for a little bit,” said Granderson when asked if the Red Sox had expressed interest in the 32-year-old. “There were some initial talks right there. Then as soon as Ellsbury ended up signing, there were more. They decided they wanted to go with Jackie Bradley, who’s obviously a great individual and is going to go out there and do some great things for them. They had some other moves they wanted to go ahead and take care of first.”
Granderson ended up signing a four-year, $60 million deal with New York.
Later Tuesday, Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington clarified his team’s interest in the outfielder.
“We contact a lot of free agents. There are probably we don’t contact than we do contact,” he said. “Because it’s important at the very least you’re exchanging information, it gives you a sense of how the market is shaping. We liked him. We like him as a player. But I wouldn’t say we were ever that close on it.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016
- December Notes: Sox deal key prospects for Sale, Thornburg
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rodriguez tweaks knee, Castillo rakes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramirez debuts, Vazquez homers
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Abad debuts, Hernandez goes deep again
- Scouting Updates: Mata leads group of DSL player page updates