Jarrod Saltalamacchia on M&M: ‘I was upset’ about Red Sox’ lack of interest
|12.10.13 at 2:30 pm ET|
Former Red Sox catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia joined Mut & Merloni on Tuesday morning to discuss his offseason negotiations with Boston, his decision to sign with the Marlins, and the reports that he had a falling out with Sox manager John Farrell this offseason.
Despite showing an interest in returning to Boston in 2014, Saltalamacchia ultimately signed a three-year, $21 million contract with the Marlins on Dec. 3.
‘It’s real tough. You don’t want to just go to different teams, regardless of if its free agency, trades, it doesn’t matter,’ Saltalamacchia said. ‘You don’t want to continue to move around, especially if you’ve got a wife and kids. ‘¦ I was upset. I was trying to get something done with [Boston] for a couple of years now. I was open to negotiations during the season [and] spring training. It didn’t matter.
‘But, they just wanted to wait, and I kind of had no choice but to test the free agent market, and unfortunately I’m not coming back, but I get a chance to go and be with a lot of young, good pitchers that are really just starting to begin their careers, and it’s going to be exciting to be a part of it.’
A sticking point in the negotiations reportedly was the length of the contract, as Boston has shown to be hesitant in signing catchers to long-term deals with prospects such as Christian Vazquez and Blake Swihart in the minor leagues.
I was open to two years as well, but obviously, as a player, you want to have that stability,’ Saltalamacchia said, adding: ‘Three years is big. You don’t want to have to go back into the free agent market after two years. ‘¦ It had something to do with it, but ultimately it was a decision that me and my family had to make.’
There was a report that Saltalamacchia developed a strained relationship with manager John Farrell, who chose to give David Ross more action in the World Series. Saltalamacchia said it’s not true that he had not been in touch with Farrell after the season.
‘I don’t think so,’ Saltalamacchia said. ‘He texted me probably two weeks or a week into the offseason. ‘¦ I don’t feel like we did any less talking than we did during the season or during the offseason last year. I don’t think that’s too accurate.’
A.J. Pierzynski is expected to take over behind the plate for the Red Sox in 2014 after signing a one-year deal last week. Pierzynski, who turns 37 later this month, hit .270 with 17 home runs in 134 games with the Rangers in 2013.
‘I respect the heck out of A.J. That’s a guy who, on the other side, you hate him obviously because he’s such a competitor and you’re like, ‘Man, that guy just gets on your nerves or whatever,’ but up until I actually met him for the first time, it’s like a lot of players you watch on the other side, you don’t feel the same way until you meet the guy, and then you’re like, ‘Wow, I was completely wrong,’ and that’s how A.J. is to me,’ Saltalamacchia said.
Added Saltalamacchia: ‘No matter what you say about the guy, he’s out there playing his 130-140 games every year. ‘¦ The guy goes out there and plays and gives it everything he’s got.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Ryan Lavarnway designated for assignment as Sandoval signs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez shines in Puerto Rico
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Xander Bogaerts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Mookie Betts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday
- Kukuk arrested, charged with aggravated robbery
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Allen Webster