Hot Stove roundup: Diamondbacks acquire Mark Trumbo from Angels; Rajai Davis reportedly close to deal with Tigers
|12.11.13 at 9:38 am ET|
The Angels sent first baseman/outfielder Mark Trumbo to the Diamondbacks in a three-team trade that was announced Tuesday.
In addition to Trumbo, the Diamondbacks will get a player to be named or cash from both the Angels and White Sox.
“It’s nice when you’re able to have three clubs up here all feeling good about things,” White Sox general manager Rick Hahn said at the winter meetings in Lake Buena Vista, Fla. “Obviously, as [Angels GM Jerry Dipoto] point out, it does hurt a little bit, but it costs something to get something.”
Trumbo, 27, hit .234/.294/.453 with 34 home runs and 100 RBIs in 159 games last season. With Albert Pujols at first (when he’s healthy), the Angels decided to make a move for starting pitching. They get Skaggs, 22, whom they drafted 40th overall in 2009 but traded to the Diamondbacks a year later as part of the Dan Haren trade. In 13 major league games over the last two seasons, Skaggs has a 3-6 record and 5.43 ERA with 57 strikeouts in 68 innings. They also get Santiago, 25, who was 4-9 with a 3.56 ERA in 23 starts and 11 relief appearances for the White Sox in 2013.
Eaton, 25, has played parts of two seasons in the majors. He hit .252/.314/.360 with three home runs and 22 RBIs in 66 games for the Diamondbacks last season. The speedster missed the first the first three months of the season with a sprained left elbow.
‘¢ The Athletics sent left-hander Brett Anderson (along with cash to cover part of his $8 million salary for 2014) to the Rockies for lefty Drew Pomeranz and minor league righty Chris Jensen.
The A’s have made four trades over the past 10 days, acquiring Orioles closer Jim Johnson, Padres reliever Luke Gregerson and Rangers outfielder Craig Gentry.
“We had a lot of starting pitching, and in the acquisition of Pomeranz, it allows us to turn back the clock a little with another very talented left-hander,” A’s GM Billy Beane said. “Brett’s been with us for several years, and someone obviously with that kind of talent we think very highly of, but with the amount of guys we have, we knew we could use that to get younger guys with less service time, and that was attractive.”
‘¢ Free agent outfielder Rajai Davis and the Tigers reportedly are closing in on a two-year deal worth between $9 million and $10 million. Davis, a Connecticut native, played the past three seasons with the Blue Jays. In 2013 he hit .260/.312/.375 in 108 games, with 45 stolen bases in 51 attempts.
Davis, 33, has played eight major league seasons, including stints with the Pirates (2006-07), Giants (2007-08) and Athletics (2008-10).
‘¢ Rakuten Eagles president Yozo Tachibana said at the winter meetings that no decision has been made on the future of star pitcher Masahiro Tanaka, who went 24-0 in Japan’s 2013 regular season. The Yankees reportedly have a big interest in the hurler if he’s made available.
“First of all, discuss it with him,” Tachibana said. “I don’t know if he wants to do it.”
‘¢ Major League Baseball and Nippon Professional Baseball have an agreement in place on a new posting season that caps the fee going to Japanese clubs for players on the market. If multiple MLB teams offer to pay the maximum posting fee of $20 million, they would then compete to sign the player.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller