Scott Boras says Stephen Drew has a market, Xander Bogaerts going to be ‘top five’ player
|12.11.13 at 4:28 pm ET|
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. ‘ Scott Boras has spoken.
The agent for free agent shortstop Stephen Drew addressed the media in one of the hallways at the Dolphin Resort and Spa Wednesday, touching on the shortstop’s market thus far in free agency.
‘He’s going to have numerous options to choose from,’ Boras said of Drew. ‘Obviously there are a variety of teams that want a shortstop of his defensive acumen, capability.’
Throughout the winter meetings, there has been a curiosity regarding Drew’s market, with any team (except the Red Sox) who signs the 31-year-old having to surrender a draft pick.
The agent said that while a return to the Sox isn’t out of the question, Drew will have the opportunity to choose from more than one scenario.
‘Well, I think that’s not a decision Stephen has made yet because we have to look at the totality of what’s available to him,’ Boras said when asked about Drew potentially returning to the Red Sox. ‘And some of the offers and positions teams are taking are somewhat contingent on another move. And so, to have a full slate of what’s available to him is not yet something that’s ripe.’
According to multiple sources, the Red Sox are planning to wait until Drew’s market defines itself before looping back in with the shortstop.
Ironically, the player who would take Drew’s place at shortstop, Xander Bogaerts, is also a Boras client.
‘Clearly. Bogaerts played very well in September. He hit about .270 and his defense was great,’ the agent said. ‘Bogaerts really established himself in the major leagues. When you’ve got a young man that age playing in that environment, it’s a pretty remarkable achievement.
“I think Xander Bogaerts is going to be one of the top five players in baseball.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Trade analysis: Scouting Anthony Ranaudo
- Red Sox deal Anthony Ranaudo to Rangers for Robbie Ross Jr.
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Perth heads to the playoffs
- Rookie Dev Program notes: Ramos healthy, Swihart looks back
- Mookie Betts is prepared for whatever 2015 may bring
- Brian Johnson prepared to follow up stellar 2014 campaign
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Weeks helps Mayaguez advance to finals
- Rookie Development Program easing transition for young players
- Offseason Notes: Veterans Bianchi, Boggs highlight minor league signings
- Red Sox acquire Danny Rosenbaum from Nationals for Dan Butler