Scott Boras says Stephen Drew has a market, Xander Bogaerts going to be ‘top five’ player
|12.11.13 at 4:28 pm ET|
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. ‘ Scott Boras has spoken.
The agent for free agent shortstop Stephen Drew addressed the media in one of the hallways at the Dolphin Resort and Spa Wednesday, touching on the shortstop’s market thus far in free agency.
‘He’s going to have numerous options to choose from,’ Boras said of Drew. ‘Obviously there are a variety of teams that want a shortstop of his defensive acumen, capability.’
Throughout the winter meetings, there has been a curiosity regarding Drew’s market, with any team (except the Red Sox) who signs the 31-year-old having to surrender a draft pick.
The agent said that while a return to the Sox isn’t out of the question, Drew will have the opportunity to choose from more than one scenario.
‘Well, I think that’s not a decision Stephen has made yet because we have to look at the totality of what’s available to him,’ Boras said when asked about Drew potentially returning to the Red Sox. ‘And some of the offers and positions teams are taking are somewhat contingent on another move. And so, to have a full slate of what’s available to him is not yet something that’s ripe.’
According to multiple sources, the Red Sox are planning to wait until Drew’s market defines itself before looping back in with the shortstop.
Ironically, the player who would take Drew’s place at shortstop, Xander Bogaerts, is also a Boras client.
‘Clearly. Bogaerts played very well in September. He hit about .270 and his defense was great,’ the agent said. ‘Bogaerts really established himself in the major leagues. When you’ve got a young man that age playing in that environment, it’s a pretty remarkable achievement.
“I think Xander Bogaerts is going to be one of the top five players in baseball.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fort Report: Rankings, returns, & reporting to camp
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven