Source: Red Sox haven’t made formal offer to Stephen Drew
|12.11.13 at 7:56 pm ET|
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. — According to a major league source — other than the one-year, $14.1 million qualifying offer extended earlier in the offseason — the Red Sox have not made a formal offer to Stephen Drew.
Per multiple sources, the Red Sox’ strategy continues to be to wait for Drew to find what his market might result in before looping back in with the free agent shortstop.
Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington met with Drew’s agent, Scott Boras, Wednesday at the Dolphin Resort to keep the conversation going.
“I’d rather not get into specifics of our conversation, but I don’t think we would ever — if a deal makes sense for us, we would do it today on any player,” Cherington said. “I don’t think there’s a need to wait on anything if the deal makes sense. It’s just a matter of whether or not it makes sense. We’re still working on that.
The GM added, “We had another good conversation, and we’ve been having conversations since the end of the season. Yeah, I think we have a sense of what’s important to him, and I think he has a sense of what’s important to us. See where it goes.”
Boras said while addressing the media at the winter meetings Wednesday that his client has multi-year offers from other teams. Boras did say, however, that some of the clubs around baseball want to see how the market unfolds before moving forward.
‘He’s going to have numerous options to choose from,’ Boras said of Drew. ‘Obviously there are a variety of teams that want a shortstop of his defensive acumen, capability.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles