Source: Red Sox haven’t made formal offer to Stephen Drew
|12.11.13 at 7:56 pm ET|
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. — According to a major league source — other than the one-year, $14.1 million qualifying offer extended earlier in the offseason — the Red Sox have not made a formal offer to Stephen Drew.
Per multiple sources, the Red Sox’ strategy continues to be to wait for Drew to find what his market might result in before looping back in with the free agent shortstop.
Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington met with Drew’s agent, Scott Boras, Wednesday at the Dolphin Resort to keep the conversation going.
“I’d rather not get into specifics of our conversation, but I don’t think we would ever — if a deal makes sense for us, we would do it today on any player,” Cherington said. “I don’t think there’s a need to wait on anything if the deal makes sense. It’s just a matter of whether or not it makes sense. We’re still working on that.
The GM added, “We had another good conversation, and we’ve been having conversations since the end of the season. Yeah, I think we have a sense of what’s important to him, and I think he has a sense of what’s important to us. See where it goes.”
Boras said while addressing the media at the winter meetings Wednesday that his client has multi-year offers from other teams. Boras did say, however, that some of the clubs around baseball want to see how the market unfolds before moving forward.
‘He’s going to have numerous options to choose from,’ Boras said of Drew. ‘Obviously there are a variety of teams that want a shortstop of his defensive acumen, capability.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Scouting Scratch: Yoan Moncada
- Owens reassigned to minors in latest roster cuts; Boggs released
- The Write-Up: More reports from Fort Myers
- Karsten Whitson close to his old self in Red Sox system
- 2015 Spring Training Reports
- With injury behind him, Longhi honing selective approach this spring
- Podcast Ep. 71: Spring Training Reports!
- Scouting Scratch: Trey Ball
- Fort Report: SoxProspects crew arrives in Fort Myers
- The Write-Up: More from the Fort