Source: Red Sox haven’t made formal offer to Stephen Drew
|12.11.13 at 7:56 pm ET|
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. — According to a major league source — other than the one-year, $14.1 million qualifying offer extended earlier in the offseason — the Red Sox have not made a formal offer to Stephen Drew.
Per multiple sources, the Red Sox’ strategy continues to be to wait for Drew to find what his market might result in before looping back in with the free agent shortstop.
Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington met with Drew’s agent, Scott Boras, Wednesday at the Dolphin Resort to keep the conversation going.
“I’d rather not get into specifics of our conversation, but I don’t think we would ever — if a deal makes sense for us, we would do it today on any player,” Cherington said. “I don’t think there’s a need to wait on anything if the deal makes sense. It’s just a matter of whether or not it makes sense. We’re still working on that.
The GM added, “We had another good conversation, and we’ve been having conversations since the end of the season. Yeah, I think we have a sense of what’s important to him, and I think he has a sense of what’s important to us. See where it goes.”
Boras said while addressing the media at the winter meetings Wednesday that his client has multi-year offers from other teams. Boras did say, however, that some of the clubs around baseball want to see how the market unfolds before moving forward.
‘He’s going to have numerous options to choose from,’ Boras said of Drew. ‘Obviously there are a variety of teams that want a shortstop of his defensive acumen, capability.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Xander Bogaerts' Wrist and Return
- Latest Updates on Joe Kelly's Injury
- Even Price Can't Stop Red Sox Rotation Giving Bad Feeling of Deja Vu
- Sandoval's Ex-Trainer Says He Has Eating Problem
- Ortiz Closing in on Top 25 in Career Home Runs
- Updates on Red Sox Star Pablo Sandoval's Injury
- Ortiz Looks Determined to Go out with a Bang
- Cup of Coffee: Haley, Lakins continue strong starts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi continues surge, Smith rehabs
- Cup of Coffee: E-Rod rehabs, Ball debuts, Benintendi big again
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi powers Salem past Frederick
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Kyri Washington rips pair of doubles in Greenville loss
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas, Swihart lead Pawtucket on a light night
- Michael Chavis placed on disabled list with torn thumb ligament (UPDATE: report rescinded)
- Weekly Notes: Light, Cuevas get first-time call-up
- Cup of Coffee: Lakins shoves, Drive bats come alive