David Ortiz on feud between Alex Rodriguez, MLB: ‘It’s a little crazy’
|12.13.13 at 3:27 pm ET|
PUNTA CANA, Dominican Republic ‘ After initially saying he wasn’t going to talk about the dispute between Alex Rodriguez and Major League Baseball, David Ortiz took the time to address the drama with a small group of reporters at his charity golf tournament.
‘Let me tell you, this is the way I see it: it’s a situation all you’ve got to do is wait,’ the Red Sox designated hitter said. ‘If he gets suspended at some point he will learn his lesson and he will figure he got suspended for a reason. If he doesn’t, go back to playing baseball. Go back and give the fans what they want to see, us putting up a show. I know this whole thing has been a little crazy but we have to wait. There’s nothing that we can do right now. We’re waiting to see how it’s going to be. Hopefully he comes out of it.
‘It’s hard for me to judge anyone because I get along with everybody. Whenever somebody makes a mistake I’m the kind of person who taps you on your shoulder and tell you, ‘Don’t do that again.’ I let God judge people. People make mistakes. I’m not saying that’s this case, but whenever you make mistakes the best thing to do is let people know you weren’t trying to hurt nobody. In case things go south, that’s what I’m going to be here for, but in the meanwhile everybody needs to wait.’
Rodriguez, who was scheduled to be in attendance for the three-day charity event, is still waiting to hear if his 211-game suspension will be reduced by MLB.
When asked if he was surprised about the contentiousness between Rodriguez and MLB commissioner Bud Selig, Ortiz said, ‘It’s OK. It’s a little crazy. In my case, I just stay away, watch the results and hopefully everything goes well and goes back to playing baseball.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Weekly Notes: Big league season comes to an end
- The Write-Up: Logan Allen, Travis Lakins, William Cuevas and Yankory Pimentel
- Weekly Notes: Season end awards & front office changes
- SoxProspects.com 2015 season-end award winners
- Travis, Moncada highlight Red Sox minor league awards
- Podcast Ep. 86: Season in Review, Pt. 1
- Weekly Notes: Moncada to play winter ball in Puerto Rico
- 2015 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Weekly Notes: Front office moves, Fall Instructs rosters announced
- Podcast Ep. 85: Final Notes from the Field, Sept. Rankings, Wendell Rijo