David Ortiz on feud between Alex Rodriguez, MLB: ‘It’s a little crazy’
|12.13.13 at 3:27 pm ET|
PUNTA CANA, Dominican Republic ‘ After initially saying he wasn’t going to talk about the dispute between Alex Rodriguez and Major League Baseball, David Ortiz took the time to address the drama with a small group of reporters at his charity golf tournament.
‘Let me tell you, this is the way I see it: it’s a situation all you’ve got to do is wait,’ the Red Sox designated hitter said. ‘If he gets suspended at some point he will learn his lesson and he will figure he got suspended for a reason. If he doesn’t, go back to playing baseball. Go back and give the fans what they want to see, us putting up a show. I know this whole thing has been a little crazy but we have to wait. There’s nothing that we can do right now. We’re waiting to see how it’s going to be. Hopefully he comes out of it.
‘It’s hard for me to judge anyone because I get along with everybody. Whenever somebody makes a mistake I’m the kind of person who taps you on your shoulder and tell you, ‘Don’t do that again.’ I let God judge people. People make mistakes. I’m not saying that’s this case, but whenever you make mistakes the best thing to do is let people know you weren’t trying to hurt nobody. In case things go south, that’s what I’m going to be here for, but in the meanwhile everybody needs to wait.’
Rodriguez, who was scheduled to be in attendance for the three-day charity event, is still waiting to hear if his 211-game suspension will be reduced by MLB.
When asked if he was surprised about the contentiousness between Rodriguez and MLB commissioner Bud Selig, Ortiz said, ‘It’s OK. It’s a little crazy. In my case, I just stay away, watch the results and hopefully everything goes well and goes back to playing baseball.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Ockimey powers Lowell, Hernandez leads PawSox comeback
- Cup of Coffee: McAvoy tosses Salem past Nationals
- Cup of Coffee: Chavis shines in national TV spotlight
- Cup of Coffee: Travis, Owens continue hot stretches
- Cup of Coffee: Brian Johnson leads PawSox to shutout victory
- After slow start, Cecchini heating up at the plate, settling into left field
- Cup of Coffee: Watkins earns save after catching 14 innings
- Weekly Notes: Johnson makes Major League debut
- Cup of Coffee: Big offensive performances from Pawtucket, Greenville and Portland
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas, Travis highlight tight Portland victory