David Ortiz on talks with Red Sox about extension: ‘Let’s do it now’
|12.13.13 at 1:39 pm ET|
PUNTA CANA, Dominican Republic — David Ortiz said Friday that he is having discussions with the Red Sox about a contract extension after leading the team to a World Series title with a bounce-back season.
“My agent and them, they’re talking right now to see if we can get another year,” Ortiz said at his charity golf tournament. “Right now I’m very happy with the way things went last year.”
A year ago, Ortiz was a free agent who was coming off an injury-plagued 2012 season. He agreed to a two-year deal worth $26 million plus bonuses that could increase the value to $30 million.
Ortiz, who turned 38 last month, missed the start of the 2013 season while recovering from an Achilles tendon injury. He went on to play in 137 games, batting .309/.395/.564 with 30 home runs and 103 RBIs, and finished 10th in American League MVP balloting. He also won a Silver Slugger.
After addressing the media at his event, Ortiz elaborated on his desire to sign an extension.
“We gave then what they wanted. I don’t have next year guaranteed and I think I can play another one. We’re working on that,” he said. “Who knows? As long as I feel good I’m going to want to play. I think everybody is in good shape to negotiate another year and move on.”
When asked if he would want to wait until the end of the season to renegotiate another year, Ortiz said, “What for? You know what’s going to happen if I’m healthy and good to go. I just hate the situation where I have to sit down at the end of the year and talk about my following year. Let’s do it now. We’re world champs right now.”
Ortiz also said he doesn’t see any reason why a deal can’t get done before the conclusion of 2014. “If they’re smart I will,” said the DH when asked if he thought a deal could get done. “You know what happens every time people challenge Papi.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Shaw Becoming Star After Being Thrown in Spotlight by Sandoval Benching
- Ortiz, Red Sox Look Headed for 1 More Exciting Run
- Updates on Xander Bogaerts' Wrist and Return
- Latest Updates on Joe Kelly's Injury
- Even Price Can't Stop Red Sox Rotation Giving Bad Feeling of Deja Vu
- Sandoval's Ex-Trainer Says He Has Eating Problem
- Ortiz Closing in on Top 25 in Career Home Runs
- Cup of Coffee: Chris Marrero powers PawSox past IronPigs
- April Players of the Month: Andrew Benintendi and Teddy Stankiewicz
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada hits grand slam to lead Salem sweep
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Nick Longhi
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas and Maxwell lead the PawSox
- Podcast Ep. 95: One month in, start it up again
- Weekly Notes: Rodriguez, Smith begin rehab assignments
- Cup of Coffee: Rijo breaks out, rain washes Salem and Greenville
- Cup of Coffee: Haley, Lakins continue strong starts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi continues surge, Smith rehabs