David Ortiz on talks with Red Sox about extension: ‘Let’s do it now’
|12.13.13 at 1:39 pm ET|
PUNTA CANA, Dominican Republic — David Ortiz said Friday that he is having discussions with the Red Sox about a contract extension after leading the team to a World Series title with a bounce-back season.
“My agent and them, they’re talking right now to see if we can get another year,” Ortiz said at his charity golf tournament. “Right now I’m very happy with the way things went last year.”
A year ago, Ortiz was a free agent who was coming off an injury-plagued 2012 season. He agreed to a two-year deal worth $26 million plus bonuses that could increase the value to $30 million.
Ortiz, who turned 38 last month, missed the start of the 2013 season while recovering from an Achilles tendon injury. He went on to play in 137 games, batting .309/.395/.564 with 30 home runs and 103 RBIs, and finished 10th in American League MVP balloting. He also won a Silver Slugger.
After addressing the media at his event, Ortiz elaborated on his desire to sign an extension.
“We gave then what they wanted. I don’t have next year guaranteed and I think I can play another one. We’re working on that,” he said. “Who knows? As long as I feel good I’m going to want to play. I think everybody is in good shape to negotiate another year and move on.”
When asked if he would want to wait until the end of the season to renegotiate another year, Ortiz said, “What for? You know what’s going to happen if I’m healthy and good to go. I just hate the situation where I have to sit down at the end of the year and talk about my following year. Let’s do it now. We’re world champs right now.”
Ortiz also said he doesn’t see any reason why a deal can’t get done before the conclusion of 2014. “If they’re smart I will,” said the DH when asked if he thought a deal could get done. “You know what happens every time people challenge Papi.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Drake Britton designated for assignment as Red Sox sign Ogando
- Trade Analysis: Scouting Anthony Ranaudo
- Red Sox deal Anthony Ranaudo to Rangers for Robbie Ross Jr.
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Perth heads to the playoffs
- Rookie Dev Program notes: Ramos healthy, Swihart looks back
- Mookie Betts is prepared for whatever 2015 may bring
- Brian Johnson prepared to follow up stellar 2014 campaign
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Weeks helps Mayaguez advance to finals
- Rookie Development Program easing transition for young players
- Offseason Notes: Veterans Bianchi, Boggs highlight minor league signings