David Ortiz on talks with Red Sox about extension: ‘Let’s do it now’
|12.13.13 at 1:39 pm ET|
PUNTA CANA, Dominican Republic — David Ortiz said Friday that he is having discussions with the Red Sox about a contract extension after leading the team to a World Series title with a bounce-back season.
“My agent and them, they’re talking right now to see if we can get another year,” Ortiz said at his charity golf tournament. “Right now I’m very happy with the way things went last year.”
A year ago, Ortiz was a free agent who was coming off an injury-plagued 2012 season. He agreed to a two-year deal worth $26 million plus bonuses that could increase the value to $30 million.
Ortiz, who turned 38 last month, missed the start of the 2013 season while recovering from an Achilles tendon injury. He went on to play in 137 games, batting .309/.395/.564 with 30 home runs and 103 RBIs, and finished 10th in American League MVP balloting. He also won a Silver Slugger.
After addressing the media at his event, Ortiz elaborated on his desire to sign an extension.
“We gave then what they wanted. I don’t have next year guaranteed and I think I can play another one. We’re working on that,” he said. “Who knows? As long as I feel good I’m going to want to play. I think everybody is in good shape to negotiate another year and move on.”
When asked if he would want to wait until the end of the season to renegotiate another year, Ortiz said, “What for? You know what’s going to happen if I’m healthy and good to go. I just hate the situation where I have to sit down at the end of the year and talk about my following year. Let’s do it now. We’re world champs right now.”
Ortiz also said he doesn’t see any reason why a deal can’t get done before the conclusion of 2014. “If they’re smart I will,” said the DH when asked if he thought a deal could get done. “You know what happens every time people challenge Papi.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- November Notes: Prospect rankings and new CBA
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez belts walk-off home run
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Devers, Hernandez stand out in Dominican winter league
- Podcast Ep. #109: Alex Speier on Ranking the System
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez debuts, Tavarez, Mars stay hot
- Podcast Ep. #108: 2016 Rankings Special
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Kopech continues to dominate
- October Notes: Fall ball and front office changes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada sidelined by thumb sprain
- Help Wanted: Web Editors & Social Media Specialists