Hot Stove roundup: Joba Chamberlain reportedly has 1-year deal with Tigers
|12.13.13 at 9:07 am ET|
Reliever Joba Chamberlain agreed to a one-year deal with the Tigers worth $2.5 million, according to multiple reports, as he tries to resurrect his once-promising career by leaving the Yankees.
Chamberlain went 2-1 with a career-worst 4.93 ERA in 45 games for New York last season. The 28-year-old missed most of May with a strained right oblique.
In seven season with the Yankees, Chamberlain has a 23-14 record with a 3.85 ERA in 260 appearances.
‘¢ Right-hander Roberto Hernandez reportedly agreed to a one-year deal with the Phillies. Hernandez, formerly known as Fausto Carmona, went 6-13 with a 4.89 ERA for the Rays last season. The 33-year-old previously spent seven seasons with the Indians.
The Phillies, coming off their first losing season in 11 years, were rumored to be shopping starters Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels, but general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. and manager Ryne Sandberg denied those reports.
‘¢ The Giants have a one-year deal worth $6 million with Michael Morse, who is expected to start in left field. Morse, 31, hit .215 with 13 home runs and 27 RBIs in 88 games for the Mariners and Orioles last season. He missed time due to a broken right pinkie and strained right quadriceps.
‘¢ The Rangers selected Russell Wilson, who plays quarterback for the Seahawks, from the Rockies in the Triple-A portion of the Rule 5 draft Thursday. Wilson played two seasons of minor league baseball before focusing on football.
“At the end of the day, he obviously has a lot bigger things that he’s working on right now,” Rangers assistant general manager A.J. Preller said, “and we don’t want to interrupt with that aspect of it. But if at some point down the road he decides he wants to do baseball again, we felt like it would be a positive to have him with us.”
Said Wilson: “It’s a pretty cool thing. It’s my third time being drafted in baseball so it’s a blessing for sure. At the same time my focus is on football. Mr. [general manager Jon] Daniels and I talked about that, obviously. He knew that. … My focus is on football and what we’re doing here.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Fort Report: Moncada Madness
- Podcast Ep. 70: Moncada signs, Ben Badler talks, PawSox sold!
- PawSox sold to group including Lucchino; reports say move to Providence likely
- Fort Report: Top prospects prepare for biggest tests yet
- Report: Red Sox have agreement to sign Moncada for $31.5M
- Unveiling the updated SoxProspects scouting reports, stage one
- Owens, Johnson among eight invited to Red Sox spring training
- Chicago Cubs claim Drake Britton off waivers
- Offseason Notes: Red Sox continue to shape roster
- Drake Britton designated for assignment as Red Sox sign Ogando