Hot Stove roundup: Joba Chamberlain reportedly has 1-year deal with Tigers
|12.13.13 at 9:07 am ET|
Reliever Joba Chamberlain agreed to a one-year deal with the Tigers worth $2.5 million, according to multiple reports, as he tries to resurrect his once-promising career by leaving the Yankees.
Chamberlain went 2-1 with a career-worst 4.93 ERA in 45 games for New York last season. The 28-year-old missed most of May with a strained right oblique.
In seven season with the Yankees, Chamberlain has a 23-14 record with a 3.85 ERA in 260 appearances.
‘¢ Right-hander Roberto Hernandez reportedly agreed to a one-year deal with the Phillies. Hernandez, formerly known as Fausto Carmona, went 6-13 with a 4.89 ERA for the Rays last season. The 33-year-old previously spent seven seasons with the Indians.
The Phillies, coming off their first losing season in 11 years, were rumored to be shopping starters Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels, but general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. and manager Ryne Sandberg denied those reports.
‘¢ The Giants have a one-year deal worth $6 million with Michael Morse, who is expected to start in left field. Morse, 31, hit .215 with 13 home runs and 27 RBIs in 88 games for the Mariners and Orioles last season. He missed time due to a broken right pinkie and strained right quadriceps.
‘¢ The Rangers selected Russell Wilson, who plays quarterback for the Seahawks, from the Rockies in the Triple-A portion of the Rule 5 draft Thursday. Wilson played two seasons of minor league baseball before focusing on football.
“At the end of the day, he obviously has a lot bigger things that he’s working on right now,” Rangers assistant general manager A.J. Preller said, “and we don’t want to interrupt with that aspect of it. But if at some point down the road he decides he wants to do baseball again, we felt like it would be a positive to have him with us.”
Said Wilson: “It’s a pretty cool thing. It’s my third time being drafted in baseball so it’s a blessing for sure. At the same time my focus is on football. Mr. [general manager Jon] Daniels and I talked about that, obviously. He knew that. … My focus is on football and what we’re doing here.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins