Shane Victorino expected to be ready for spring training after right thumb surgery
|12.16.13 at 8:56 pm ET|
The Red Sox announced that right fielder Shane Victorino underwent successful nerve release surgery on his right thumb on Monday, and that the Gold Glove winner is expected to be ready to participate in spring training. The procedure was performed by Dr. Thomas Graham in Cleveland.
Victorino suffered what was described at the time as a jammed thumb on Sept. 18. He was out of the Red Sox starting lineup for four of the final nine games of the regular season, but recovered to start 14 of the Sox’ 16 postseason games, with his only two missed contests coming due to back tightness in the World Series. He hit .216 with a .333 OBP and .314 slugging mark in October, becoming the first player ever with the game-winning hit in three different clinching contests in one postseason.
Still, the possibility that he might need surgery was something of which the team and player were aware. But given that the procedure requires a relatively short recovery period, a decision was made to see if the thumb would heal on its own. When it did not, the decision to undergo surgery was made.
Victorino, who turned 33 on Nov. 30, signed a three-year, $39 million deal with the Sox last offseason. He hit .294 with a .351 OBP and .451 slugging mark along with 15 homers in 122 games despite the fact that, for the first time in his major league career, injuries forced him to bat almost exclusively from the right side (rather than switch-hitting) over most of the final two months of the season.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fort Report: Rankings, returns, & reporting to camp
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven