Shane Victorino expected to be ready for spring training after right thumb surgery
|12.16.13 at 8:56 pm ET|
The Red Sox announced that right fielder Shane Victorino underwent successful nerve release surgery on his right thumb on Monday, and that the Gold Glove winner is expected to be ready to participate in spring training. The procedure was performed by Dr. Thomas Graham in Cleveland.
Victorino suffered what was described at the time as a jammed thumb on Sept. 18. He was out of the Red Sox starting lineup for four of the final nine games of the regular season, but recovered to start 14 of the Sox’ 16 postseason games, with his only two missed contests coming due to back tightness in the World Series. He hit .216 with a .333 OBP and .314 slugging mark in October, becoming the first player ever with the game-winning hit in three different clinching contests in one postseason.
Still, the possibility that he might need surgery was something of which the team and player were aware. But given that the procedure requires a relatively short recovery period, a decision was made to see if the thumb would heal on its own. When it did not, the decision to undergo surgery was made.
Victorino, who turned 33 on Nov. 30, signed a three-year, $39 million deal with the Sox last offseason. He hit .294 with a .351 OBP and .451 slugging mark along with 15 homers in 122 games despite the fact that, for the first time in his major league career, injuries forced him to bat almost exclusively from the right side (rather than switch-hitting) over most of the final two months of the season.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Ryan Lavarnway designated for assignment as Sandoval signs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez shines in Puerto Rico
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Xander Bogaerts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Mookie Betts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday
- Kukuk arrested, charged with aggravated robbery
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Allen Webster