Shane Victorino expected to be ready for spring training after right thumb surgery
|12.16.13 at 8:56 pm ET|
The Red Sox announced that right fielder Shane Victorino underwent successful nerve release surgery on his right thumb on Monday, and that the Gold Glove winner is expected to be ready to participate in spring training. The procedure was performed by Dr. Thomas Graham in Cleveland.
Victorino suffered what was described at the time as a jammed thumb on Sept. 18. He was out of the Red Sox starting lineup for four of the final nine games of the regular season, but recovered to start 14 of the Sox’ 16 postseason games, with his only two missed contests coming due to back tightness in the World Series. He hit .216 with a .333 OBP and .314 slugging mark in October, becoming the first player ever with the game-winning hit in three different clinching contests in one postseason.
Still, the possibility that he might need surgery was something of which the team and player were aware. But given that the procedure requires a relatively short recovery period, a decision was made to see if the thumb would heal on its own. When it did not, the decision to undergo surgery was made.
Victorino, who turned 33 on Nov. 30, signed a three-year, $39 million deal with the Sox last offseason. He hit .294 with a .351 OBP and .451 slugging mark along with 15 homers in 122 games despite the fact that, for the first time in his major league career, injuries forced him to bat almost exclusively from the right side (rather than switch-hitting) over most of the final two months of the season.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies