Hot Stove roundup: Yankees reportedly sign 2B Brian Roberts, P Matt Thornton
|12.17.13 at 1:31 pm ET|
The Yankees have agreed to a one-year deal worth $2 million with longtime Oriole Brian Roberts to fill the hole at second base created by the loss of free agent Robinson Cano, according to multiple reports.
Roberts, 36, has played all 13 of his major league seasons in Baltimore. He signed a four-year, $40 million deal four years ago but only was able to play 192 games during the life of that contract due to injuries. In 77 games last season he hit .249/.312/.392 with eight home runs and 39 RBIs.
The Red Sox acquired Thornton from the White Sox midseason (for minor league outfielder Brandon Jacobs), and the left-hander compiled a 3.74 ERA and 1/43 WHIP with 30 striekouts in 43 1/3 innings between the two Sox.
Thornton, 37, had good numbers against lefties (.235/.267/.370 with 20 strikeouts vs. three walks) but struggled against righties (.333/.423/.405 with 12 walks and 10 strikeouts).
Thornton will replace Boone Logan, who left New York to sign a three-year, $16.5 million contract with the Rockies.
‘¢ The Twins signed outfielder Jason Kubel to a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training. Kubel, 31, spent hist first seven seasons in Minnesota but left after the 2011 season to sign a two-year, $16 million contract with the Diamondbacks. After a solid 2012, he struggled in 2013, hitting a career-worst .220/.288/.324 before being designated for assignment. He landed in Cleveland, collecting three hits in 18 at-bats with five walks.
‘¢ Veteran pitcher Gavin Floyd signed a one-year deal with the Braves, as he tries to return from a shortened 2013 season. Floyd, 30, pitched just 28 1/3 innings for the White Sox before having elbow surgery in May. The deal is reported to be worth between $4 million and $8.5 million depending on how many incentives Floyd hits.
‘¢ The Diamondbacks traded for White Sox closer Addison Reed, who had 40 saves and a 3.79 ERA in 68 appearances last season. To get the 24-year-old righty, Arizona sent Triple-A third baseman Matt Davidson to Chicago.
‘¢ John Axford, a former closer who has struggled the last two seasons, agreed to a one-year deal with the Indians worth $4.5 million. Axford, 30, saved 40 games for the Brewers in 2011 but was traded to the Cardinals in August after losing his job.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins