Hot Stove roundup: Yankees reportedly sign 2B Brian Roberts, P Matt Thornton
|12.17.13 at 1:31 pm ET|
The Yankees have agreed to a one-year deal worth $2 million with longtime Oriole Brian Roberts to fill the hole at second base created by the loss of free agent Robinson Cano, according to multiple reports.
Roberts, 36, has played all 13 of his major league seasons in Baltimore. He signed a four-year, $40 million deal four years ago but only was able to play 192 games during the life of that contract due to injuries. In 77 games last season he hit .249/.312/.392 with eight home runs and 39 RBIs.
The Red Sox acquired Thornton from the White Sox midseason (for minor league outfielder Brandon Jacobs), and the left-hander compiled a 3.74 ERA and 1/43 WHIP with 30 striekouts in 43 1/3 innings between the two Sox.
Thornton, 37, had good numbers against lefties (.235/.267/.370 with 20 strikeouts vs. three walks) but struggled against righties (.333/.423/.405 with 12 walks and 10 strikeouts).
Thornton will replace Boone Logan, who left New York to sign a three-year, $16.5 million contract with the Rockies.
‘¢ The Twins signed outfielder Jason Kubel to a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training. Kubel, 31, spent hist first seven seasons in Minnesota but left after the 2011 season to sign a two-year, $16 million contract with the Diamondbacks. After a solid 2012, he struggled in 2013, hitting a career-worst .220/.288/.324 before being designated for assignment. He landed in Cleveland, collecting three hits in 18 at-bats with five walks.
‘¢ Veteran pitcher Gavin Floyd signed a one-year deal with the Braves, as he tries to return from a shortened 2013 season. Floyd, 30, pitched just 28 1/3 innings for the White Sox before having elbow surgery in May. The deal is reported to be worth between $4 million and $8.5 million depending on how many incentives Floyd hits.
‘¢ The Diamondbacks traded for White Sox closer Addison Reed, who had 40 saves and a 3.79 ERA in 68 appearances last season. To get the 24-year-old righty, Arizona sent Triple-A third baseman Matt Davidson to Chicago.
‘¢ John Axford, a former closer who has struggled the last two seasons, agreed to a one-year deal with the Indians worth $4.5 million. Axford, 30, saved 40 games for the Brewers in 2011 but was traded to the Cardinals in August after losing his job.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles